• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What happens when you get a blackbelt?

I never got some sort of certificate for any of my Kyu ranks, and I practiced for YEARS and got the 1st Kyu rank :(

Maybe I was in a Mcdojo? :(

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just because you didn't ge kyu rank certificates. The quality of instruction is not based on we

Hether or not your were handed a piece of paper.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got some sort of certificate for any of my Kyu ranks, and I practiced for YEARS and got the 1st Kyu rank :(

Maybe I was in a Mcdojo? :(

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just because you didn't get kyu rank certificates. The quality of instruction is not based on whether or not your were handed a piece of paper.

If you got to First Kyu in less than 2 years then I would be suspect as to whether your school is a McDojo, but as above, I agree with IcemanSK.

In some schools, you don't get a different belt for each grade either. the old way there were 3 colours, White, Brown and Black. Westerners brought in the culture of having different colours for each Kyu/Gup/Kup grade.

For Most Organisations the Only Certificates that Count when you transfer allegiance to them is your Dan Certificates. Kyu Grade Certificates are nice and good to have, I have every Certificate I ever received in a folder at home, but normally outside the "Style" you train in won't allow you to wear your current grade in any other "Style's" Dojo, Dojang, Kwan

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I've earned 3 black belts to date. Not only did each black belt come with a certificate, each increase in dan rank or degree came with a certificate, additionally, each kyu or under black belt rank came with a certificate. Even in BJJ, we get certificates that validate our rank.

WOW, Kyu certificates? :o

Is this standard practice in arts like karate or TKD too?

I presume you don't get certificates by your shock ? Are you at a reputable kick boxing organisation ? If something happened like your instructer moved or you got fed up in politics again ( how bad is karate for this ? Lol) and you went another club are you just going to start from beginning again ? If your with rep association you cam hand over certificates to prove you've done the work .

You probably have to sit a grading still to make sure . I don't understand what you thought you would do ?

Some clubs make you start at white belt again regardless. There are a lot of variables at play, so it just depends. Not every club will accept other club's certificates and rank.

. I didn't let it bother me, though, because although they don't have to recognize rank, they will eventually come to recognize skill and knowledge levels.

I think in the end, what matters is if one feels comfortable and confident in what they have learned and achieved. If they do, then I don't think the need to be "officially recognized" by another organization is all that important.

Well said

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I think in the end, what matters is if one feels comfortable and confident in what they have learned and achieved. If they do, then I don't think the need to be "officially recognized" by another organization is all that important.

Yepper...because...the proof is on the floor!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Belts are clearly a Western addition to the martial arts. They make knowledge a tangible thing, and can there fore charge more for it. Traditionally there were no belts, As far as here in the west there was a big push by the NAPMA type companies who taught their client schools to teach their students that a belt is useless and meaning less without the certificate to legitimize it. Because anyone with an internet connection can go out and buy any color belt they want.

This is why I personally feel belts mean nothing except to the individual. There are many so called masters self promoting it has lost its appeal.

Sean Anderson

Anderson Kali Tribal Combatives

Shihansean01@gmail.com

https://www.Anderson-Kali.com

https://www.Tribalbladecombatives.wordpress.com

Belts are clearly a Western addition to the martial arts. They make knowledge a tangible thing, and can there fore charge more for it. Traditionally there were no belts, As far as here in the west there was a big push by the NAPMA type companies who taught their client schools to teach their students that a belt is useless and meaning less without the certificate to legitimize it. Because anyone with an internet connection can go out and buy any color belt they want.

This is why I personally feel belts mean nothing except to the individual. There are many so called masters self promoting it has lost its appeal.

Well, not actually.

Wasn't it Jigoro Kano, the Japanese founder of Judo, that is credited with introducing the modern belt system?

Yes, this is the case. Over the years, many styles have added more belt levels, but the concept of the belt depicting rank is an eastern idea.

• 3 weeks later...

When I started karate in 1973 we got a certificate for each belt starting from yellow :-)

I did get a certificate for 4th dan - from internet - but I am still using my 1 kyu belt in training. Or what ever is needed...

For Han Moo Do 8. kup( yellow belt) - I did not get any certificates. I think it was nice to get a cool certificate with Japaneze written all over...but we need to get over the belt ranking system - it's helpful, but not the goal.