• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What happens when you get a blackbelt?

The belt ranking systems actually help students to create goals by setting acheivable objectives. To many new students, the black belt becomes the goal. The colored belt system provides a system of visually recognizable objectives that help keep students on track to achieve their goals. That, in my opinion, is the value of the belt system; it provides the track for the train to run on.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

belt rank system can be a good system as it gives small intermediate steps and some kind of time frame to follow. And it kind of tells what to expect from your training partner.

System could be made better if we grow with our goals. Getting a black belt cannot be a final goal - it's more like first step of starting to study :-)

(Writes a person who hasn't a black belt - just 1.kyu for 33 years:-)

Ok - our goals change - and should change - and the system would be even better if it could make the change of goals confortable - kind of let you feel like you can grow old with the system....

(I read a news article about some 60 + ladies who got black belts in Hong Kong - it was Taekwondo - I think...)

I think belt system does its job well. I think students need to take on more responsibility in creating their own goals and objectives once they reach the black belt levels, since time in rank usually gets longer. By the time a student reaches first dan, they should be able to start to take their training on their own individualized path, and really make the style their "own" for lack of a better analogy. I think thats why we see a drop off after black belt is achieved; they want to be spoon fed continually, and don't try to search for it on their own.

The "spoonfed" mentality is frustrating these days-it seems that every kid that comes in the door has trouble even taking the initiative to tie his/her own belt....."My mom does it for me" is becoming a frequent response from 8 and 9 year olds! We talk frequently in classes (both kids and adults) about this issue and while you get nods of agreement a majority still have no ambition to put the effort in and still see Black Belt as something to wear rather than something to be.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The "spoonfed" mentality is frustrating these days-it seems that every kid that comes in the door has trouble even taking the initiative to tie his/her own belt....."My mom does it for me" is becoming a frequent response from 8 and 9 year olds! We talk frequently in classes (both kids and adults) about this issue and while you get nods of agreement a majority still have no ambition to put the effort in and still see Black Belt as something to wear rather than something to be.

8)

Its going to be tougher to get kids past that point of "being a black belt" as opposed to "wearing a black belt." That comes easier for adults and teens, who begin to see the intrinsic value of things. The ones who stick with it throughout adulthood, get it.