• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Control Escapes for BJJ

So last night I tested for yellow... and I am now a yellow belt :D however, near the end of testing, all the testers were required to work on side control escape for Braziljiuian jiu jitsu. It was kinda a continuous thing, once you escaped, someone else would come get you in side control and you would have to do it again. It went pretty well, but when one of our instructors (he's learning to be an instructor, so he still does alot of hands on stuff with us) had me in side control, I was stuck. He's really good at BJJ and a blue belt, so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about it, but still :/

I felt like I was just muscling it and not using technique. Anybody know any side control escapes??? I know this one where you bump, shrimp, and then get them in guard, but I need to know more :P

I'm a girl, and I'm pretty muscular, but I'm still probably gonna be the weakest one when I move up into the adult class tonight... and tonight is BJJ. I'm scared. Help!

"It's not about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

It's not the skill, it's the HEART.

White Belt, June 2011. Yellow Belt, August 2011.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You're a yellow belt. In a mixed art. That means you've done the bump, shrimp, and guard recovery about 100 times, maybe. Do it about 10,000 more times. Make your bump shrimp and guard recovery strong enough that should you encounter the Buddha in side control, your guard will be recovered, or something like that.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Sounds like a plan ;) so mostly it's just speed I need to work on? And recovery?

"It's not about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

I was mostly afraid I wasn't up to par with where I should be, but it's just experience that's lacking, I think I can fix that as time goes on. I was afraid I was lagging behind :o

The big thing has already been said by MP, rep it about a million more times. Don't focus on speed or strength, focus on proper technique. Good bumps, strong shrimps, precise resets on the recovery. Be able to do it perfect, not missing a step, at whatever pace that those parameters dictate. Learn to feel and then recognize how that successful motion works.

Fundamentals, executed perfectly, and drilled throughout your grappling career, are the key to quality BJJ. Learn to love them, because you should be doing them thru the ranks. They can't become boring, or be relegated to a secondary status.

If you absolutely, must have another option so soon, ask to be shown a movement out in the opposite direction, to you knees. This will give you a couple of simple options.

There are about a million options based on where you are and your partner, and where everyone's appendages are. But the ALL operate off the fundamentals learned in the escape you described (or in other fundamental movements). Secure those first and foremost.

Also, learn to get comfortable and relax. Getting crushed on the bottom is actually half of the BJJ game. The less you panic and spaz, the longer you'll be in the fight and the more favorable your counter results will be. Just as a reminder, the best counter to side is to not get put there in the first place, so remember to focus on retaining your "grappling ball" when in a scramble that you seem to be on the loosing end of.

Lastly, read "Jiu JItsu University" by Saulo Riberio. Don't look so much at the techniques deep in the book, but focus on his philosophy of how BJJ should work. His outlook would have served me well earlier in my grappling career.

Good luck and keep us posted.

thanks so much tallgeese, that was really helpful. I've been trying to get in a lot of practice :D As long as I know what to practice, I'll feel much better!!

I went for about 2 hours last night- we had open mat. And needless to say, I feel much more confident :D

I went for about 2 hours last night- we had open mat. And needless to say, I feel much more confident :D

Good to hear. Keep working at it. You're still very young in Jiu-jitsu

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

And you guys were right, the best way to get out of side control is not to be there ;) I tried really hard to keep a good base, so side control didn't happen very often. Now I just need to reach that goal of 10,000 reps! lol