• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my dojo has a technical rule.. i say technical cuz exeptions are made.... in the lower belts, we are not allowed to throw or be thrown by airial throws... such as ippon seoi nage. now, i have been thrown, and have been throwing it in randori.... the sensei hasnt said, and even given me better pointers on how to throw it stronger and we also learned how to fix it if it gets blocked.

the way they DO teach the ippon to lower belts is to basicly do ippon with poor technique... as it let the opponent roll off your shoulder instead of over your shoulder....

do you believe this is right? should it be done this way? should it not?

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is that a hip toss? I think so, but I'm no good with names; it doesn't really matter to the principle. I agree that potentially high injury tactics should be kept out of the beginning ranks arsenal. So, I'm in high agreement with that.

As to modified tactics so the newer ranks, I"m not a fan of teaching "poor" technique ever. Keep in mind; however, that just because it looks like a poor, modified version of a more popular throw doesn't mean that this is actually the case. The throw in question might be a perfectly reasonable tactic, taught the way it's normally done.

I don't know if this is the case or not, I'm not a judo guy at all. Nor do I know what your level of knowledge is about it. It's possible you've been around long enough to know it's just a bad throw. Or, you might be newer, and not really know if it's a tactic in it's own right.

Just some thoughts.

Is that a hip toss? .
No. It's a single arm shoulder toss.

I'm not a fan of making you throw poorly. A better tactic would be to teach you to drop to you knees with it so your opponent doesn't have to fall as hard. Essentially they just do a shoulder roll instead. But, I defer to your instructor's experience. There may be other reasons behind what they are doing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

well all the judoka where i go dont agree with it... they understand why he does it... so they dont throw someone incorrectly, but it creates a bad habit when u do the ippon.. so idk...

for the record i am new.. to the dojo.. have practiced judo for a while with friends beforehand just to screw around...

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

With this throw, a beginning uke often lands on his head. Furthermore, beginning students have not developed the skill of assisting his partner in falling. Consequently, they like to "throw" their training partner into the ground.

I'm sure that as a group of students improves in skills (particularly falling), the instructor will adjust and teach throwing over the shoulder.

I'd say if the adjustments are still sound in nature, then it would be ok. But like ps1 mentions, if the throw is done "poorly," then it would probably be better just to wait and introduce it when the students have the skill to execute it and land properly.

But, I'm no Judo guy, and like mentioned before, it may be wiser in this case to defer to your isntructor's experience.

I don't think the instructor should teach a "poor" version of any technique. If you are practicing something wrong long enough your muscle memory sets in wrong and then you haave to break a "bad habbit". Thus you have to back up as both instructor and student correcting the poor technique and re-leaarning the correct way to exicute said technique. In this case there are two variations of the same throw depending on body position. But again I've been wrong before.

Seoi-nage is a daunting throw - particularly for uke.

There are ways the throw can be "assisted" though.

My instructor teaches us to use our free hand to push against the small of tori's back as we are being thrown as part of the ukemi.

Think of it like doing a front flip / vault in gymnastics - you use your arms to propel yourself round to land feet first, rather than straight on to your back.

Your feet then absorb the initial impact.

Well - that’s the theory anyway.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Seoi-nage is a daunting throw - particularly for uke.

There are ways the throw can be "assisted" though.

My instructor teaches us to use our free hand to push against the small of tori's back as we are being thrown as part of the ukemi.

Think of it like doing a front flip / vault in gymnastics - you use your arms to propel yourself round to land feet first, rather than straight on to your back.

Your feet then absorb the initial impact.

Well - that’s the theory anyway.

Sojobo

Hey that's pretty good. One thing I've always been apprehensive about is a novice not finishing his throw and dropping me in mid air while I'm upside down. I've almost separated my shoulders a couple of times because of this.