• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Today...You Have The Authority!!

Only to make training more like it was decades ago, but with the added experience of decades of practice and refinement of techniques.

What do you mean by "decades ago" exactly?

Hi mate, I was speaking specifically for Kyokushin.

I think that training was more raw and full-on back in the 60's to the 90's, now its not as hardcore as it used to be, and only those training for tournaments will really get the full effect of conditioning and kumite (sparring).

Conversely, nowdays we have a number of years (Idaresay even hundreds, but in the last 20-30 years and especially with the advent of cross-training and MMA) of refinement of what works for present day and what does not. Even specific kicks have been refined (such as high roundhouses).

Taking the best of both worlds would be my optimal change. Hard training, with the techniques and know-how of present day.

Hope that makes sense.....

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For Isshinryu - I would put a higher emphasis on Sanchin, hard body conditioning and full contact sparring. I would do away with all ranks except white and black belt.

For Kuk Sool Won - There would be no mention of Korean history in class. I would add randori. Small joint manipulation techniques would be done on a smaller axis. There would be an emphasis on full contact sparring.

Those are the two styles I have enough experience in to make a call on what I would change.

Only to make training more like it was decades ago, but with the added experience of decades of practice and refinement of techniques.

What do you mean by "decades ago" exactly?

Hi mate, I was speaking specifically for Kyokushin.

I think that training was more raw and full-on back in the 60's to the 90's, now its not as hardcore as it used to be, and only those training for tournaments will really get the full effect of conditioning and kumite (sparring).

Conversely, nowdays we have a number of years (Idaresay even hundreds, but in the last 20-30 years and especially with the advent of cross-training and MMA) of refinement of what works for present day and what does not. Even specific kicks have been refined (such as high roundhouses).

Taking the best of both worlds would be my optimal change. Hard training, with the techniques and know-how of present day.

Hope that makes sense.....

Yes, this makes sense. Thanks for clarifying for me.

For Kuk Sool Won - There would be no mention of Korean history in class.

That would be a blessing for any Korean style, I'd say. Unless they all read a copy of "A Killing Art" first. When I start to hear about the "5000 year history of TKD," I mentally just shut down and wait for the talking to stop.