• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Shido-kan soon

emerica1184

I'm starting a shido-kan karate class soon at Mighigan State University and I'm very excited to get started. Does anyone study shido-kan and could tell me how it compares to other styles like shotokan and kyokushin? I have very little knowledge when it comes to how different each style is so any help is appreciated!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shidokan is a very competition-oriented system that is a mix of a few different styles, from Kyokushin to boxing to Shotokan. The tournaments include knockdown fighting, Muay Thai, and grappling often all in the same fight just in different rounds. Boxing-only rounds are pretty common too. It's a great contemporary art that will certainly get you in great shape and open up the door for competitions.

Here's a little highlight video that might show you a bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_R6loHvzdg

see i've heard that before but idk if thats exactly what this is. https://www.msu.edu/~butler/KIN%20102c.pdf

that is the link to the course website

Ah, I see now. This is a Shorin Ryu organization. Looks like they write it Shido-kan to differentiate themselves. Shorin Ryu is one of the main Okinawan karate styles and is very interesting and can be quite effective.

see i've heard that before but idk if thats exactly what this is. https://www.msu.edu/~butler/KIN%20102c.pdf

Ah, I see now. This is a Shorin Ryu organization. Looks like they write it Shido-kan to differentiate themselves. Shorin Ryu is one of the main Okinawan karate styles and is very interesting and can be quite effective.

okay awesome! That is exactly what I was hoping for any pointers for a first timer?

okay awesome! That is exactly what I was hoping for any pointers for a first timer?

Relax, pay close attention to how you move and how the sensei moves, feel free to take notes if that helps you and be aware that you are going to probably be pretty worn out afterward. Shorin-ryu tends to have more natural stances than, for example, Shotokan, but even so you will probably end up with wobbly legs eventually (especially because they seem to be very kick-oriented from the link you provided).

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Relax, pay close attention to how you move and how the sensei moves, feel free to take notes if that helps you and be aware that you are going to probably be pretty worn out afterward. Shorin-ryu tends to have more natural stances than, for example, Shotokan, but even so you will probably end up with wobbly legs eventually (especially because they seem to be very kick-oriented from the link you provided).

Excellent this is exactly what I'm hoping for, i'm ready to put all my energy into it.