• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long for black belt?

difflock

Im my School The Guide Line is a Minimum of 3 1/2 years but Dan Grades are on invitation and I have Students who have been training for over 6 years who are still yet to take their First Black Belt.

It's not a race, its a lifetime's study a Black belt is not the finish but just the Starting Line

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im my School The Guide Line is a Minimum of 3 1/2 years but Dan Grades are on invitation and I have Students who have been training for over 6 years who are still yet to take their First Black Belt.

It's not a race, its a lifetime's study a Black belt is not the finish but just the Starting Line

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Imho, earning a black belt based on hours is not a solid way, again...imho.

:)

I know. But if you give a white belt an answer that it takes somewhere between 3.5 years and forever, then it's a large pill to swallow.

Give him something that he can understand like the number of hours, then he'll more likely train every single day. And by the end of every week, he can say "hey, I've moved 7 hours closer to my black belt because I've trained an hour each day this week."

This brings up an interesting thing. What exactly makes a black belt? Is it someone who has proved a level of technical competence in the art of karate? What level is that line at? Surely the parameters are different from system to system and school to school, so really what is a black belt or any belt for that matter?

Karate is an art and as such, it is a different and unique path for each of us. A pursuit that can never be truly mastered. There is no destination, only a a lifelong journey and the farther I travel down the road the less and less I care about my "rank". I also find myself more and more focused on just mastering the basic moves. Heck, I am even reluctant to learn the next kata, as I feel my work is just beginning with the others I have already "learned".

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I met a new student from one of our associated schools at our gathering last week, and I think she's a good example for beginners. She joined an MMA school, more or less for self defense training, exercise, and a hobby. She was the only new student in the get together. She has no interest in belts, her instructor doesn't give rank in their class. I showed her some grappling drills and she put in reps until someone showed her something else. Then she put in reps on that. The reward for doing so was to get better at what she was doing.

A belt is a symbol. The alphabet is made up of symbols, which can be used to print the truth or a lie.

A belt covers 2 inches of your butt, the rest is up to you.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Doesn't matter if you ask me.

"Belt just means no need rope to hold ones pants"~ Mr. Myagi (Sensei from karate kid) :P

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

This brings up an interesting thing. What exactly makes a black belt? Is it someone who has proved a level of technical competence in the art of karate? What level is that line at? Surely the parameters are different from system to system and school to school, so really what is a black belt or any belt for that matter?

Karate is an art and as such, it is a different and unique path for each of us. A pursuit that can never be truly mastered. There is no destination, only a a lifelong journey and the farther I travel down the road the less and less I care about my "rank". I also find myself more and more focused on just mastering the basic moves. Heck, I am even reluctant to learn the next kata, as I feel my work is just beginning with the others I have already "learned".

This is very true, my friend, I've know Blackbelts who've been 1st Dans for 17 years or more, mainly because they're happy to stay where they are and just perfect what they have learnt already. I've know Brown belts who "refuse" to take their black and have been Brown belts for over 7 years etc.

It does seem strange that almost everyone who isn't a Black Belt etc strives to get there, but once you get it, the "whiter" your belt gets, the less you feel its importance although it is still very important to you.

I am just a life long student of Karate. I'd be happy to sit at my current grade but due to my students I need to progress up the ladder too.

Does any of the Dan Grades on here train with their old coloured belts on, now and againi, to show the "lower" grades that the belt colour doesn't make a difference to the quality of your techniques etc?

Thank you Sensei8 for your kind words on my previous post

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Styles vary, so check with your instructor to find out what kind of testing cycles you have, and if there are certain time requirements for each rank.