• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pounding A Stone

sensei8

There are all kinds of videos out there, usually ones ripped off from his instructional dvd's (I think).

Here is a nice blog post, with an image of his hands, from someone who trained with him last year.

http://memoirsofagrasshopper.blogspot.com/2009/03/sensei-higaonna.html

Leaves fall.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very impressive demonstration. I wonder how bad his hands ache all of the time?

I have hit bare handed walls, makiwara, heavy bags, etc. I don't get aches all them time. If I strike something exceptionally hard, my hand will hurt for a few days but nothing after it heals.

Makiwara andheavy bags have "give"..they move when you hit them. A stone does not. HUGE difference there. Not to mention the actual substance difference between a makiwara/heavy bag and a stone.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Very impressive demonstration. I wonder how bad his hands ache all of the time?

I have hit bare handed walls, makiwara, heavy bags, etc. I don't get aches all them time. If I strike something exceptionally hard, my hand will hurt for a few days but nothing after it heals.

Makiwara andheavy bags have "give"..they move when you hit them. A stone does not. HUGE difference there. Not to mention the actual substance difference between a makiwara/heavy bag and a stone.

Most walls do not.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

This is the first I have heard of him. Impressive videos though. Any others you would recommend?

Here's a couple to get you started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmtnAWg0xo&feature=related (at 2:00 in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmtnAWg0xo&feature=related

Domo.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Most walls do not.

If I were you I wouldn't be punching them at all. Notice Higaonna Sensei never actually punches the wall, it's more forearm strikes and back knuckle strikes and knife hand blows. When you hit something properly, your force goes into the target but the secondary force comes back into you. If you are more solid than your target (i.e. a heavy bag or a student with weaker balance) it goes right back into your target. If your target is more solid than you though (i.e. a wall) it just returns right into you. Ishi mochi (stone pounding) never really uses full force if you watch it. It's more a slow steady pace.

Most walls do not.

If I were you I wouldn't be punching them at all. Notice Higaonna Sensei never actually punches the wall, it's more forearm strikes and back knuckle strikes and knife hand blows. When you hit something properly, your force goes into the target but the secondary force comes back into you. If you are more solid than your target (i.e. a heavy bag or a student with weaker balance) it goes right back into your target. If your target is more solid than you though (i.e. a wall) it just returns right into you. Ishi mochi (stone pounding) never really uses full force if you watch it. It's more a slow steady pace.

I agree, I would never punch a stone or wall full force: That is a recipe for disaster.

Matsubayashi Ryu