• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clocked at over 110 mph, with a reaction time of 0.05!!

Crash and takedown. Fight on the ground. Yes, it's fraught with risk. However, it's probably less risk to crash close than stay at range with those attributes.
I like tallgesse's take on this. Try to smash in with a takedown. Hard to use the kind of speed from thier back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously, more info please. 110 mph on what- punch, kick? Who is this, who recorded data? How is reaction time measured?

Bruce Lee...However, there's no verifiable proof of this, but Lee's school in Oakland was one of the first martial arts schools to use electronic devices to measure technique speed, reaction time, and hitting force.

Therefore, my question is purely hypothetical.

:)

Can't we let the man rest in peace? Bruce Lee has been elevated, in some martial arts circles, nearly to God-like status. People, he was a man, just like you (to the men out there) and me. He wasn't, despite peoples opinions, perfection in the flesh.

Sure, he was a great martial artist, but he was also a great self-promoter and a movie star. Was he the best that ever lived? There is no way to compare him or others unless you stacked them all together in the same room and had some way to measure..which in itself would be utter chaos! His greatest claim to fame was to bring the arts out into the open and get the public interested in them. He, thru his movies and short-lived TV series (The Green Hornet) were instumental in filling dojos around the world with new students.

As you mentioned sensei8, there is no "proof", and the timing/force pads they had at that time were inaccurate and unreliable. We had one of those in our dojo for a time in the mid-70's. They were fun to play with though.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

While you might be right Montana, I only wanted to create a topic/thread for discussion, even if Bruce is the subject. Many great men/women of history are still talked/discussed/etc about way after they've passed away.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I figure that I've got about 5 options on this one.

1) Hit him with a car - my car goes faster than 110 MPH

2) Hit him with a chair - in the event that he dodges it I would...

3) Throw a series of chair at him from a distance

4) Light his house on fire and shoot him when he runs out the door

5) Cover, take the abuse, grab him, bite him, take him down, and punish.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

To fight Bruce Lee, I would keep a low stance and a tight, conservative guard. I'd use footwork to herd him into a corner and try to turn it into a grappling match. I have about a hundred pound weight advantage, and more Jiu Jutsu experience.

I'd use a gun. From about 30 feet away, and three loaded magazines....

Crash and takedown. Fight on the ground. Yes, it's fraught with risk. However, it's probably less risk to crash close than stay at range with those attributes.
I'd use footwork to herd him into a corner and try to turn it into a grappling match. I have about a hundred pound weight advantage, and more Jiu Jutsu experience.

All joking aside, I think the ideas here from tallgeese and Master Pain would be the best. Bruce Lee spoke and wrote about a lot of things, and although he was highly skilled, I don't think he dabbled much in the ground fighting aspect of things. I know he had some ties with Judo Gene LeBell, but I'm not sure how much actual ground fighting training he had. He never spoke much of it, if he did, and he spoke a lot more about his Wing Chun experience, and Boxing and Fencing research.

Groin Strike's ideas about the car, chairs, and fire are good ones, too...

Bruce Lee always boasted about these great techniques and as much as I think he is great I never asked what I would do in that situation I always wandered what he would do ? They Always there some one better than you. Its one of those rare times when yea I would probably want to take it to the floor ASAP

Also 0.05 wasn't his reaction times I believe 0.05 was the time it took to go from his side in neutral position to your head ....

I believe the average persons reaction time is 0.21 seconds. I imagine its much higher average for martial arts because were trained my average is 0.175 not boasting I think I ow it to my age and training.

I seen really intresting test on boxers and parkinsons once. They got loads of them to do this test were you had your finger on a botton and infront a couple of inches was five more buttons with a light. When the light shined you had to press it and get back again.

They Split the boxers into two groups. One was people that been training quite a while but hadnt much fights. The other were ones that had been training even longer but were seasoned pro's many fights under them.

The unseasoned fighters had the quickest reaction times . The seasoned pros though moved much faster once they had reacted and made much fewer mistakes. little off topic but I thought it was intresting lol

If you are quick at seeing, then reaction time doesn't matter so much. That 0.05 fact im sure as well that was not his reaction time but his speed from his hand at his side to hitting a target, a guy called James DeMill built the timer that measured this, its in one of the Bruce Lee books can't remember which one.

From what I know, the grappling in JKD was never contested like in wrestling they just accepted the throw or lock as a finish from striking. So from this point of view it was under developed. His attitude was also along the lines of he won't let it go to the ground and if someone is lying on the ground trying to fight he would just walk away from them. Shame he never met the gracies im sure he would have refined and invented alot of new stuff, it was just the way he approached things.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.