• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin Karate

Wastesien

Hehe, the Kyokushin people I know are sweet and humble and not bullies who try to solve everything with their fists. That's a last resort. :P

I am horribly out of shape, and was worse when I started Kyokushin. It's a great way to get IN shape, let me tell you.

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, as I know many Shito Ryu Dojos who spar just as hard as many Kyokushin/Knock-Down Karate Dojos

I'd be interested to see this if you can find any videos for us. Most of the videos you see on Youtube of their sparring tend to be of the more semi-contact variety, like most karate styles. Knockdown kumite is a different animal than most types of karate kumite.

Strange, as I know many Shito Ryu Dojos who spar just as hard as many Kyokushin/Knock-Down Karate Dojos

I'd be interested to see this if you can find any videos for us. Most of the videos you see on Youtube of their sparring tend to be of the more semi-contact variety, like most karate styles. Knockdown kumite is a different animal than most types of karate kumite.

I'll pop around to my good Friends Dojo and ask if I can film their sparring then put it on Youtube

I also find Goju Sparring close to the way we spar, the dojo where I go to now and again they also allow strikes to the groin

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hehe, the Kyokushin people I know are sweet and humble and not bullies who try to solve everything with their fists. That's a last resort. :P

All karatekas are humble people, especially the ones i've been personally acquainted with.

I didn't say that all Kyokushin karatekas are bullies, but here, they all look really fierce.....

:bawling:

"The only fights you win are the ones you can avoid..."

"Martial Art doesn't just teaches you how to defend yourself, but it also teaches you about self control..."

• 4 weeks later...

I trained at a shito ryu dojo that sparred just as hard as any Kyokushin dojo for what was ALLOWED. Meaning, there was no gedan mawashi geri, hiza geri...it was more or less continuous full contact WKF rules in the dojo. I have also seen goju ryu dojo that do knockdown kumite and iri kumi that is very similar to Kudo rules.

I'll stick to Kyokushin and Muay Thai, though, no going back to shito ryu for me.

I was a competitive Muay Thai fighter in my younger....and much lighter days, and had a few fighters of my own. I also competed in Olympic style TKD rules when I was a shito ryu/goju ryu stylist. Kyokushin knockdown kumite is its own set of rules. I wouldn't call it Muay Thai or TKD sparring. I have powerful chudan tsuki that I often use to bully someone around with in knockdown kumite, and even knockdown, go figure. When I spar Muay Thai rules wearing 12-16 ounce gloves this doesn't really work as well..or easy, I should say. I also like to use haito uchi to the kidney and ribs, which doesn't work with gloves. In Olympic TKD sparring, you don't even "score" using punches..I know from experience unless they actually givey ou points now? They didn't in the early to mid 90s.

As far as Enshin, Ashihara, and any other respected offshoots of Kyokushin..I respect them all. I fought in some Sabaki tournaments thrown by former Enshin branch chief in the Seattle area. I focus quite a bit on "tai sabaki" more than most Kyokushin dojo do, too. I own Enshin and Ashihara books :). In fact every knockdown karate forum I know of online gives respect to the offshoots, there is just political bickering between the groups that want to call themselves Kyokushin/kai/kan(shin) etc. but most of us get along. Personally, I try to get along with everybody I can.

I trained at a shito ryu dojo that sparred just as hard as any Kyokushin dojo for what was ALLOWED. Meaning, there was no gedan mawashi geri, hiza geri...it was more or less continuous full contact WKF rules in the dojo. I have also seen goju ryu dojo that do knockdown kumite and iri kumi that is very similar to Kudo rules.

I'll stick to Kyokushin and Muay Thai, though, no going back to shito ryu for me.

I was a competitive Muay Thai fighter in my younger....and much lighter days, and had a few fighters of my own. I also competed in Olympic style TKD rules when I was a shito ryu/goju ryu stylist. Kyokushin knockdown kumite is its own set of rules. I wouldn't call it Muay Thai or TKD sparring. I have powerful chudan tsuki that I often use to bully someone around with in knockdown kumite, and even knockdown, go figure. When I spar Muay Thai rules wearing 12-16 ounce gloves this doesn't really work as well..or easy, I should say. I also like to use haito uchi to the kidney and ribs, which doesn't work with gloves. In Olympic TKD sparring, you don't even "score" using punches..I know from experience unless they actually givey ou points now? They didn't in the early to mid 90s.

As far as Enshin, Ashihara, and any other respected offshoots of Kyokushin..I respect them all. I fought in some Sabaki tournaments thrown by former Enshin branch chief in the Seattle area. I focus quite a bit on "tai sabaki" more than most Kyokushin dojo do, too. I own Enshin and Ashihara books :). In fact every knockdown karate forum I know of online gives respect to the offshoots, there is just political bickering between the groups that want to call themselves Kyokushin/kai/kan(shin) etc. but most of us get along. Personally, I try to get along with everybody I can.

If I could throw a "Rep" your way I would, PM me your K4L name and I'll rep you there, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

If I could throw a "Rep" your way I would, PM me your K4L name and I'll rep you there, OSU

powerof0ne, no rep needed, come by kdf sometime, too, if you want. A discussion has been brought up there about Hanshi Arneil, politics, and stuff not welcome on K4L nor here..Gary has participated in that discussion a bit, too.

Osu!