• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU!!!

I've trained with a few Kyokushin Karateka in my years as I am Ashihara Karate, I find that a lot of the techniques filter between the styles.

Kyokushin has like most Karate Styles too much Politics. Fore Example a IKO can not train with an IKU etc etc. This is NOT what Sosai wanted

Take out the Politics and I feel Kyokushin is probably the best traditional Karate Style about but that's my opinion. Okinawan Karate (Kode Te) is a very very close second

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

It produces very tough, fit fighters and is a strong style, overall. There isn't enough emphasis on bunkai a lot of the time for my personal tastes but there's nothing wrong with that, really.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It produces very tough, fit fighters and is a strong style, overall. There isn't enough emphasis on bunkai a lot of the time for my personal tastes but there's nothing wrong with that, really.

With a lot of the comparatively younger Shihan, I would agree with this. A lot of the senior instructors who have been with Kyokushin since day one are quite different though. Our organization's top instructor trained first under Shigeru Oyama and later Sosai Oyama and we train lots of different applications, especially those from Tensho kata.

Given a chance, I would give it a try.

Kyokushin is very similar to ITF TKD but its continuus sparring and thigh kicks and knees and elbows are allowed.

Sosai was Korean and His Martial Arts Lineage (from some sources) depicts training in Chinese Kenpo which is also the source of some of the Korean Martial Arts too

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

With a lot of the comparatively younger Shihan, I would agree with this. A lot of the senior instructors who have been with Kyokushin since day one are quite different though. Our organization's top instructor trained first under Shigeru Oyama and later Sosai Oyama and we train lots of different applications, especially those from Tensho kata.

Good to hear! My only experience with Kyokushin has been a mudansha student who had been out of it a while and came into our dojo to train, and then training with a Nidan.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

What do you think about kyokushin

Elite karate. They generally draw the best athletes and produce very tough fighters. On the other hand, many schools will not meet the needs of children or older folks or casual learners (like me). Some schools will even not slow down for young men who can't keep up. In other words, they have a tendency to ignore a novice until they believe that you're tough enough to not quit. And many do quit.

BTW, gearing up often means a mouth piece and cup. Other MMA safety gear are frowned upon as being "soft." Also by elite, I don't mean that their style is any better than other Karate schools. But their level of training demands more physical fitness. I think it's safe to say that Kyokushin is karate for athletes.