• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Literal Kata!!

sensei8

...whereas in the Adult syllabus this is where the Bunkai/Application/Hidden techniques comes to life.

With the same 3 kata?

sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...whereas in the Adult syllabus this is where the Bunkai/Application/Hidden techniques comes to life.

With the same 3 kata?

sojobo

The first 3 kata are for the kids syllabus only then the kata after that is where this ethos comes into play. Apologies for not making that clearer than that

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree with Sojobo, in that in-depth understanding of any given kata requires in-depth understanding of the Art itself.

In a sense, aren't they one and the same?

Only if the Art is strongly built upon kata ;)

Some schools may use kata simply as a means to delevop coordination, basic techiques and movement.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I agree with Sojobo, in that in-depth understanding of any given kata requires in-depth understanding of the Art itself.

Some schools may use kata simply as a means to delevop coordination, basic techiques and movement.

Not sure I agree with that philosophy. But in the system I am in, kata is the heart of karate.

Edited by Ueshirokarate

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Yes. But I don't train in THOSE schools. :D

To me, if it looks like a punch or kick, and sensei says it's a punch or kick, then that is what it is. On the other hand, we do Goju, and train Goju, as a different animal. Much of a kata's interpretation, what seems like an obvious, literal, application, is dependant on pre-existing assumptions. Change those assumptions about application, body dynamics, movement, power generation, attack lines, etc, and a whole new 'obvious' shakes out.

Have you ever seen a Kata where each and every movement within said Kata is literal?

:idea:

Leaves fall.

To me, if it looks like a punch or kick, and sensei says it's a punch or kick, then that is what it is. On the other hand, we do Goju, and train Goju, as a different animal. Much of a kata's interpretation, what seems like an obvious, literal, application, is dependant on pre-existing assumptions. Change those assumptions about application, body dynamics, movement, power generation, attack lines, etc, and a whole new 'obvious' shakes out.

Have you ever seen a Kata where each and every movement within said Kata is literal?

As I see it, there are multiple applications for many of the moves. Some can be applied as a throw, strike or block. Would you agree?

Matsubayashi Ryu

Not sure I agree with that philosophy. But in the system I am in, kata is the heart of karate.

Totally agree with you on the ethos that Kata IS the heart of Karate

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

The original question wasn't whether or not techniques have multiple application, but if one has seen literal kata. Obviously, there can be multiple applications, but if linked with performance and it can be this or that...well...then one is looking at something that is generic, and also typical of public performances.

As I see it, there are multiple applications for many of the moves. Some can be applied as a throw, strike or block. Would you agree?

Frankly, I like 'literal' kata: "This is where you grab the head, smash the face, and break the neck."

Edited by Harlan

Leaves fall.

The original question wasn't whether or not techniques have multiple application, but if one has seen literal kata. Obviously, there can be multiple applications, but if linked with performance and it can be this or that...well...then one is looking at something that is generic, and also typical of public performances.

Frankly, I like 'literal' kata: "This is where you grab the head, smash the face, and break the neck."

I don't know, there isn't a move in any of the 11 katas that I know that I couldn't use to hurt someone or block someone's attack with.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Possible using the word "literal" was incorrect on my part. So...

When I say LITERAL within this thread/topic, I'm speaking about...

A block is just that...it's a block

A strike is just that...it's a strike

A punch is just that...it's a punch

ETC...ETC...ETC...

Nothing hidden/secret in it's application.

:)

A punch can be both a punch and a block. A block can also be a strike. There are no hard and fast rules in karate and most techniques you train in kata have direct application in a fight and often times they are multiple.

Yes, I concur, I was keeping my explanation as simplistic as possible.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!