• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paying Sempai Instructors

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
How much do you get paid as a Sempai Instructor?

The same amount I would be paying for training, so technically I don't get paid but I don't have to pay, either. I also get $10 or $20 when I teach a private lesson to one of the beginner kids but that doesn't happen very often (obviously, since I can't remember if it was $10 or $20 :P)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I don't pay my sempai anything...why should I? He teaches class now and then (maybe 10-20% of the classes) as a part of his training.

However, I stop charging my students for classes when they reach their black belt. I expect them to teach and train harder at that point. I don't teach classes trying to make a profit..if I break even, I'm happy.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Nothing. lf its just acting as in a senpai role in class, I'm still getting taught myself so I dont expect anything. On the rarer occaisons when I do whole lessons or sit on the panel for gradings, I get free lessons or sometimes stuff like school merchandise (e.g T-shirts).

TBH I think its part of my learning so don't expect to get paid for any of it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I don't pay Sempai's either; their teaching is part of their learning, and that's understood right from the beginning, and in that, I've never had a Sempai ask to get paid. When I was a Sempai, and had I ever asked my Dai-Soke for any compensation for all I do/did, that would've been quite disrespectful of me. As most, if not a lot and/or many instructors, my Sempai's didn't pay for their lessons once they became a Sempai.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When I was a trainee instructor with my first club, I did get paid, but it equated to about minimum wage at the time.

Now, I don't get paid as an instructor, but I do get a discounted membership fee.

The way my shotokan school did it, if you were the main instructor for at least one class, you didn't have to pay anything to train. If you helped teach classes, you got half off your tuition fees. I did some private lessons and got paid about $20 for a half hour of instruction (which is a lot, looking back on it), but private lessons went directly from the parents paying for their kids to me.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Part of their development????

That their is the reason for so many breakaway styles.

If I need a Sempai to help me teach a class they get paid.

I think that is fine, but it just depends on the outlooks and philosophies behind each different school and teacher. I like to get paid, but if I don't, and I still get asked to help out at class, I do it.