• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the worst beating you've ever took in the Dojo????

2 minute continuous sparring against a Xing Yi guy cross training in some other style of Kung Fu. At the opening of the match I tried to figure out his defenses from his stance/guard. After that I only remember thinking to myself "Why am I attacking? this is a bad idea, why am I doing this? Why did I just throw a kick, why am I on the ground all of a sudden?" I was slaughtered, and didn't remember anything I did, or why I even did anything in that match. I felt like I had no control over my own actions

It still gives me nightmares.

Oooo....I think we all here can relate to this happening to us from time to time...I know I can.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minute continuous sparring against a Xing Yi guy cross training in some other style of Kung Fu. At the opening of the match I tried to figure out his defenses from his stance/guard. After that I only remember thinking to myself "Why am I attacking? this is a bad idea, why am I doing this? Why did I just throw a kick, why am I on the ground all of a sudden?" I was slaughtered, and didn't remember anything I did, or why I even did anything in that match. I felt like I had no control over my own actions

It still gives me nightmares.

Oooo....I think we all here can relate to this happening to us from time to time...I know I can.

:)

Yeah, that feeling of not being in control of what is going on is NOT a good feeling. Makes me feel so small and insignificant...

• 2 weeks later...

I find the limited responses to this question slight unsettling. I understand that many schools have a limited focus on sparring, i also understand that many people have different definitions of what a beating constitutes.

I personally believe that fear and pain are instrumental into molding a proficient martial artist. I have seen too many martial artists that cannot fight their way out of a paper bag. Maybe i am just being grumpy, but when my girlfriends 13 yo nephew has earned his black belt in tkd and he can't answer the most basic self defense situations it really grinds my gears.

Rant Over. Feel free to disagree :D

I took a knee to the head while someone was attempting pass my guard. They tried to jump through knee first i guess. I heard a loud church bell then woke up with everyone standing around me. Concussion, took me out of training for 4 months.

Thats never fun, It seems that i take far more head trauma while grappling than striking, due to scenerios just like this one.

Had someone ask me to be careful of his dental work, boxed for 5 rounds without incident, the first thing that happens on the ground is my elbow knocks a tooth loose as I settle into side control.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I think it must be when I caught my Sensei's (at the time) leg when he tried to round kick me in the ribs, I pause for a second to think then took his standing leg dropping him on his back! he then "Humbled" me for the next 5 mins around the Dojo, I was a 1st Kyu at the time lol

I always spar with my students, I disagree that Sensei is untouchable!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh think I took my worst beating to date yesterday - and not in a nice way. Came home with suspected concussion (turned out not to be thankfully). One of the guys lost control a little and I took multiple roundhouses, punches, hook kicks to the head. Final one that did it was a hook kick that caught me round the back of the head and hooked me forward. Instructor was not happy. Had a big lecture today in class on control and the fact that the dominant sparrer has a responsibility :(

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

That sounds like it was a rough go, DWx. There is nothing quite like that diploma one gets from the school of hard knocks, is there? Its good to hear that it wasn't a concussion.

Last Tuesday, 12 rounds of boxing with Masterpain, I decided that because he was getting the best of me, that i would continue to charge headlong into his fists and he counterpunched. Had a migraine for a day and a half.