• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dojo challenges

Kohai is the lower colored belts right? :lol:

In our system, that's correct. Kohai is any colored belt. 1st and 2nd dan are Sempai. You don't become a Sensei until 3rd dan.

That's the formalities at least. Realistically, it's just a title.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Japanese term for it is called dojo arashi, which roughly means "dojo storming". As many have said, it used to be a common thing but not so much anymore.

Hi Kuma,

I'm not familiar with the term "dojo arashi".

I think in Japan these challenges are more commonly referred to as "dojo yaburi" (道場破り).

I believe that the practice involved challenging the Instructor to a match, but they had to defeat the instructors 2 most senior students first.

If the challengers defeated the dojo the prize was the Dojo's sign.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

That was the first time I've heard it referred to as dojo yaburi, but that makes sense as well. The first time I heard the term was reading Joko Ninomiya's autobiography when he shared how he participated in dojo arashi for a time. I think dojo arashi is more a kenjutsu term but I could be wrong. The idea's the same though.

I've never witnessed a challenge at my dojang, but my master has been challenged at least twice. Once was by a Karate-Ka, who used a low stance that made him an easy target for an axe kick. The other was by a boxer, who used a high guard that left his ribs exposed. He made one of them come and watch classes for several days before he would fight him. However, this was probably more than twenty years ago. Due to his age, two torn ligaments in his right knee, and his philosophy, I highly doubt that he would accept a challenge now.

"I have mastered the greatest technique of all: Being much bigger than my opponent."

"The hammer fist solves EVERYTHING!"

Kohai is the lower colored belts right? :lol:

In our system, that's correct. Kohai is any colored belt. 1st and 2nd dan are Sempai. You don't become a Sensei until 3rd dan.

That's the formalities at least. Realistically, it's just a title.

That's interesting. I've never heard it used with exact ranks before.

Roughly translated, in Japanese "kohai" means "underclassman" and "senpai" means "upperclassman." Basically (in Japan mind you), anyone who has less experience than you (i.e. started a year or month or even a day after you did) is your kohai. Meanwhile, anyone who started before you is your senpai. In Japan these terms are not only used in karate, but also in school, the workplace, sports teams, etc. Most people trainig karate in the states, however, changed these terms to mean "someone lower rank than I am" or "someone higher rank than I am" respectively. Many think that this switch occured when karate reached the west because in our culture, ability is more valued than seniority.

I am on the fense myself, but being that I am young, I favor the Japanese "senpai" more because it pays better respect to those from whom I have gleaned valuable insights.

sorry for being off topic....

As for challenging dojos, I was subing a class at my college club some years ago, when a girl came in claiming to be an international champion and san-dan in another organization. First of all, the head of her organization and my sensei were college roommates, which, when I told her, she refused to believe, and secondly, she kept interrupting and saying stuff to my students for some reason, even though she said she just wanted to watch. Then she up and says "I want to challenge someone to kumite" to which I responded "Okay, how about me?"

....but for some reason she picked a greenbelt instead. I told her "You need a waver to spar in this class. Would you like to fill one out?" and she shut up for a while, but apparently my greenbelt friend decided to spar her anyway after class was over and lost =_=

It was just really silly. The whole thing was just uninteresting.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Man what kinda Sandan comes in with an attitude like that, and fights a green belt? That's pretty sad, haha!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Man what kinda Sandan comes in with an attitude like that, and fights a green belt? That's pretty sad, haha!

She was quite an odd one, but she never came back, so I may never know what her beef was exactly. :-?

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro