• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Was your first dojo your best experience?

Being new to this forum as an active member, I thought I would start off with an fairly innocuous question to get some differing opinions. A little about my MA background:

- 3 years training in a TKD/generic karate mixture where I earned a brown belt (2nd kyu/gup if I remember correctly)

- During that time, I also took some Aikido and Judo classes that were taught by the same instructor as my TKD/karate

- I had a layoff of 12 years where I did not train

- Trained for a short time at a straight TKD school and a short time at a Shotokan dojo

- Took a free intro class at an Isshinryu dojo

After about 12 years away from MA, I started training at a TKD school near where I lived at the time. I really enjoyed it and a I was able to shake off the rust pretty easily. There were many similarities to my first school, but also glaring dissimilarities. Unfortunately, I took a job transfer so I had to cut my training short after about three months. Since relocating, I took a free lesson at an Isshinryu dojo and trained for a few months at a Shotokan dojo near my work after trying numerous schools in the area.

As good as these subsequent experiences were, none of them could compare to my first school in which I trained. Perhaps my rose-colored glasses are thick :D . None of these other schools seemed to have the energy and spirit I had previously experienced. I was looking for hard training, but was unable to find it. Every once in a while I would get a good workout, but not on a consistent basis. I missed the hard sparring and hard drills.

So I ask you all, was your first time the best???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Prior to my current studio, both my second best and my worst experience. It was originally very good, the Master was one of the best instructors I've had, and it was probably the only place I could go as a kid and have a culture of mutual respect.

Then the master retired, and another instructor moved into his place, I lost all of that, at one point I actually ended up taking instruction from a white belt because he was an adult (which was the last time I showed up).

Sorry to hear that.

For me, I guess it was several things that made it enjoyable. First, I was much younger than I am now. I trained with several people who were close to my age and size so sparring was always lively. I had instructors who drilled us in kata, pad work, etc. until we were all sweating and gassed. The closest I came to the atmosphere of my original school was the TKD school I trained at for a few months. My biggest complaint about that place was the lack of sparring and pad work. I got to spar the first week I was there, but never again after that. Which was a bummer because I bought brand new gear that I never got to use.

Nope, my first dojo was not my best experience. While I was in there, I had fun. But in retrospect it was terrible. Very poor quality instruction and way too political.

My second dojo, however, was great and I still love it there today.

I've been to a lot of other martial arts schools and have yet to have a really good experience.

Not really. At my first school I had a lot of fun. However, I seldom broke a sweat. After about a year, I got into a fight. I came up on top but I had nearly been choked unconscious. I asked my instructor for advice and he said, "None that I can give you at your rank." I quickly realized that this place wasn't for me.

I found a new school relatively quickly. I learn mainly Taekwondo (not under WTF or ITF rules) and I rarely leave the class without being drenched in sweat. We don't do too many of the so called "flashy moves" but rather focus on the core principles of Taekwondo. All in all, I'm very pleased with my new school.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Yep. My first school was the best. So good in fact that I'm still training there 10 yrs on. In fact, our instructor officially took over the school from our current assistant instructor as I was taking my 2nd lesson. 10th year anniversary of the school this year :D. Trained with lots of people from within the same style and outside, and although all of them are excellent teachers, none of them have come close to my instructor. IMO, and the atmosphere at the school is just amazing and its all high quality teaching too. I mean, well over a quarter of the National Squad come from my school and at national events like seminars, we're the ones to watch. So yeah, I love it and its all down to my instructor and his wife. :D.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In my life....

>I've the Shindokan Hombu

>Then the Kyuodan Dojo...mine

>Then a TKD Dojang in Burbank, CA under GM Young Ik Suh for 1 year while I was in High School

However, I too have visited a countless MA schools that were far from being a "House/Home" by the definition. Many times I've walked away from those types of MA school with both a heavy heart and a tear running down my face.

Each of the dojo/dojang in my life were full of life; busting at the seams. Our Soke and Dai-Soke taught with every fiber of their hearts; we felt them...we handled them....we were their Karate-ka children, and we felt their love...and the training wasn't lacking ever.

Gm Young Ik Suh was power-displayed by his gentleness. His touch was firm and solid, yet his touch was assuring in that it couldn't be denied. The only man I've ever seen execute a 1-step flying side kick, and his head would graze the ceiling each and every single time, and his seniors couldn't do a thing to counter him and/or stop him.

Me, I only hope that I could be as great as these 3 men when on the floor, and if I've failed, it was of my own doing, and not theirs.

A house is not a home when there's no one there to hold you tight...this too should be a school of the MA.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I had a lot of great times in my first TKD school. My instructor from that time is still a person I consider a good friend. I don't feel I am as close to my current instructor, but I don't feel that this experience has been any less than my previous one.

I guess I would have to say that some of my best experiences have been in training with my friend here, who is also a city police officer, just doing Combat Hapkido and Defensive Tactics together, 1 on 1. We have lots of good, open-ended conversations about technique, strategy, class ideas, and have also folded each other up into lots of fun positions while we were at it.

You never forget your first, but for me it was the third one that I feel is my "home". I no longer train there (due to a move) but my heart and my friends are still there.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/