• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is parkour a martial art

is parkour a martial art  

17 members have voted

1. 1. is parkour a martial art

• yes
    • no

I'm just not sure that massive evasion techniques constitute a martial art - or even a defensive art for that matter. If your defense for an attack is to climb over a wall...I'm not sure it counts.

Armies developed marching for wars, so - is marching a martial art? Better yet, is a marching band a group of martial artists?

This is a good arguement for "not a Martial Art," as it relates in opposition to the point JusticeZero had earlier. There has really been some good discussion on this topic, with lots of valid points made for either side.

Excellent discussion, everyone! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not consider parkour a martial art. It might have roots in martial arts, but I think it has moved away from the martial aspect. I don't know for sure, but I would doubt that many parkour practitioners do it to learn how to avoid combat.

What gets trickier for me is whether karate aerobic programs are martial arts. I suppose that depends on the program.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

The more I think about Parkour, the more I liken it to XMA. Although most XMA practitioners are ranked Martial Artists, I know that the majority of those who post here don't refer to XMA as a Martial Art in and of itself. With that in mind, I don't know that I could push Parkour over into being classified as a Martial Art, either.

I guess I see it as "fancy running" more than anything else.

Unless someon uses flips to land on their opponents, bounce off walls and into someone.

Wait Jackie Chan already does this!

Yes, he does, but like stated earlier, just because a Martial Artist does it, doesn't make it a Martial Art necessarily.

I will not deny the athletic ability required to be able to do that stuff, though. Those guys are good.

I'm a martial artist...so...I guess everything I do is a martial art?!?

:brow:

Yes, Bob. Including eating breakfast....its the Martial Breakfast!!!! :brow:

ROFL...and YES!!

:lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!