• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is parkour a martial art

is parkour a martial art  

17 members have voted

1. 1. is parkour a martial art

• yes
    • no

I would say no, as bushidoman said, it would be useful to learn no doubt, but in my opinion combative techniques must be implemented to be a martial art.

Tai Chi for example, i would consider a martial art because its movements and techniques are still base in combat. On the other end of the spectrum, i consider anyone who practices with firearms to be practicing a martial art.

From the Tai Chi master, to the marine sniper, its all martial arts. Just not parkour.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say yes. It has the mindset. The range of choice just happens to be "running away from the people trying to attack" rather than offense.

All I hear about it is full of discussions of situational awareness, "don't run into anyplace you can't run back out of", "always watch for multiple escape routes and places where you can be cornered", stuff like that, as well as lots of commentary about how the most important skills are the ones that aren't very visually interesting or dramatic. Those seem martial to me, and it seems like a good skill to grab some skill in as a secondary.

Nahh, you're missing the point. The guys doing parkour do it for entirely different reasons.

Ask yourself... What is the difference between a martial artist and a dancer? On the surface - nothing, but there is something "huge" that makes the difference... do you know what that is?

Answers on a postcard to...

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

I would say no, as bushidoman said, it would be useful to learn no doubt, but in my opinion combative techniques must be implemented to be a martial art.

With the greatest of respect to bushidoman, he knows 4/5ths of sod all - as my old man would say.

And that is a compliment btw.

sojobo

So essentially a martial art is only useful for attack, not defense, by definition? Things which are both to be applied to combat and used in combat but are not themself violent acts are not martial skills?

Would skill training in how to extract a wounded soldier from a battlefield without being struck by weaponfire be considered a martial skill, or no? You aren't actually attacking anyone, after all.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'd say yes. It has the mindset. The range of choice just happens to be "running away from the people trying to attack" rather than offense.

All I hear about it is full of discussions of situational awareness, "don't run into anyplace you can't run back out of", "always watch for multiple escape routes and places where you can be cornered", stuff like that, as well as lots of commentary about how the most important skills are the ones that aren't very visually interesting or dramatic. Those seem martial to me, and it seems like a good skill to grab some skill in as a secondary.

Nahh, you're missing the point. The guys doing parkour do it for entirely different reasons.

Ask yourself... What is the difference between a martial artist and a dancer? On the surface - nothing, but there is something "huge" that makes the difference... do you know what that is?

Answers on a postcard to...

Sojobo

No, JusticeZero has it pretty much exactly right. I suspect you're thinking of freerunning.

So essentially a martial art is only useful for attack, not defense, by definition? Things which are both to be applied to combat and used in combat but are not themself violent acts are not martial skills?

Would skill training in how to extract a wounded soldier from a battlefield without being struck by weaponfire be considered a martial skill, or no? You aren't actually attacking anyone, after all.

No, a martial art is a fighting art.

Back-up skills and trades don't fall into that category.

I do understand where you are coming from, as many Koryu schools of ancient japan taught battlefield stratergy, signaling etc, etc, but these were part of a bigger picture and they still had that something that Parkour and dancer don't

Sojobo

I think what you are describing is a way to physically (and mentally) condition yourself.

Granted, that is all part of being a martial artist, but it doesn't make what you are doing a martial art - or you a martial artist by doing it.

Sojobo

I would not consider it a martial art, as it is not trained like one. It's basically a combination of gymnastics and running, neither of which I would consider martial.

This is also freerunning, there aren't any gymnast moves in parkour.