• no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone needs to take up Combative Parkour...you'd just work in hitting each other at some point in the competition.

Edit: Like XArm wrestling - if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, look it up. :D

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

It was developed my the French military. I'm pretty sure they count as a martial organization.

It seems to me that you are pretty convinced that parkour is a martial art. Thats fine, but if your argument hinges on it being created by a military organization, im not sure that holds water. Many things have been created by the military that i wouldn't consider a martial art.

For example, water filtration. Our fighting men and women in desert areas are using some of the most sophisticated water filtration systems that the world has ever seen. These systems aid soldiers and make them a better fighting unit. Now, no one would disagree that having clean water available to your troops is necessary in implementing any campaign.

People have to be trained in operating these water filtration units in order for them to be succesful. Now because these people are trained in a discipline that aids in succesfully attacking and nuetralizing an enemy, would you argue that operating a water filtration unit is a martial art.

(sorry if i rambled.

Parkour was invented by a military organization, it is possible that it could be used for small scale escape and evasion tactics, this is true. But, based on the content of parkour its martial applications would be limited to a very specific set of criteria. IMHO

I'm not necessarily claiming that Parkour is a martial art, because there's no clear definition of martial art, it meets some (IE, self defense method) but not others (IE, it has no attacks). I just think that claiming its 'not martial' is silly when it was developed for combat operations.

It was developed my the French military. I'm pretty sure they count as a martial organization.

Actually "parcour" was what the French military used to call their obstacle courses from what I see. The guy most well known for Parkour today is a fellow named David Belle, a martial artist, stuntman, and actor. He was former military and some of his experiences shaped Parkour, but Parkour is not a French military creation.

I'm just not sure that massive evasion techniques constitute a martial art - or even a defensive art for that matter. If your defense for an attack is to climb over a wall...I'm not sure it counts.

Armies developed marching for wars, so - is marching a martial art? Better yet, is a marching band a group of martial artists?

― Homer, The Simpsons

I'm just not sure that massive evasion techniques constitute a martial art - or even a defensive art for that matter. If your defense for an attack is to climb over a wall...I'm not sure it counts.

Armies developed marching for wars, so - is marching a martial art? Better yet, is a marching band a group of martial artists?

Thank you for clearing up my point for me without going into a rant about the plot from "In the Army Now"... starring Pauly Shore.

Thank you for clearing up my point for me without going into a rant about the plot from "In the Army Now"... starring Pauly Shore.

I was really close to doing that very thing....

Edit: We're the Glendale Water Boys!!!

― Homer, The Simpsons

I voted no, but, this quote by JusticeZero....

I'd say yes. It has the mindset. The range of choice just happens to be "running away from the people trying to attack" rather than offense.

All I hear about it is full of discussions of situational awareness, "don't run into anyplace you can't run back out of", "always watch for multiple escape routes and places where you can be cornered", stuff like that, as well as lots of commentary about how the most important skills are the ones that aren't very visually interesting or dramatic. Those seem martial to me, and it seems like a good skill to grab some skill in as a secondary.

This gives me pause. You make some very valid points that are very serious concerns when it comes to self-defense. In the end, survival is the key, and running away is a good way to survive an encounter, especially if you can out-run and out-maneuver your attackers.

A very convincing arguement, JusticeZero. :karate:

I've heard that the whole flag girl concept came from standard bearer defensive tactics...

My fists bleed death. -Akuma