• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Women Karate Instructors in This Century

I have a wonderful and skillful instructor who happens to be a woman. At first I thought how could a woman teach an art that was developed by man for men at a time when women weren't even allowed to speak out of turn. We all know in Asian culture men don't give women the respect they deserve and traditionally they are almost second class citizens in some countries. But after training with my instructor I'm glad she is a female there is no testosterone driven I'm better than you contests in the dojo, we get our instruction in a nurturing motherly sort of way which makes for a great learning environment. I also don't feel nervous or intimidated during kumite and sparring instruction. So tell me what you think about women in the world of martial arts in the 21st century.

There is no superior style only different levels...

Huo Yianjia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Indifferent, women are just people.

Once you've had a little experience, tell her you'd like a little nervousness and intimidation. It's good for you.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I'm fine with that.

I had one for awhile. Unfortunately, they aren't a panacea. All a vice is is a virtue applied poorly. A nurturing and supportive environment can all too easily be a fault-permissive environment where technique is left untested.

Which do you prefer? Feeling nervous and intimidated and annoyed at the one-upmanship and machismo and getting beat up by overly intensive workouts? Or having techniques adjusted down to be less aggressive, sparring gutted if not removed entirely, and a room full of overly compliant training partners who throw themselves if you touch them in ways that look like throws?

I know that in my experience, we've had a lot of trouble with women in class, because a lot of the ones i've been in class with won't throw attacks. They'll gingerly make movements that signify attacks, but I barely feel the need to even defend. They could kick me in the nose and I would be fine. The guys throw attacks that scorch through the air, and I have to respond to those.

I'd rather be in a ring with someone who gets an egotistical testosterone flare that feels he has to show me up than with someone who suddenly gets all nurturing and collaborative with me. One will help me to expand my skills, the other one not so much.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Indifferent, women are just people.

Once you've had a little experience, tell her you'd like a little nervousness and intimidation. It's good for you.

It's becoming progressively more and more intimidating and I think it's based on my skill. I'm testing Aug. 13th for my yellow belt and I'm pretty sure after that she won't be as easy on me. lol

Huo Yianjia

The only qualification an instructor needs, is to be good at instructing. Moral character and all that helps, too, but I can deal with a jerk if he can make me better.

but I can deal with a jerk if he can make me better.

I grew up in Newark, NJ so I've ran into my fair share of jerks. I prefer to avoid them completely.

Huo Yianjia

All of the female instructors I've had have all been very strict about how techniques should be performed and they weren't in the least bit afraid of hitting me and being intimidating :P. In other words, they were good instructors but it didn't have anything to do with their genders--it was just their personalities.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I find female teachers to be the scarier teachers you can find. But all people are different and all teachers are going to teacher different no matter what their sex is.

I agree with JusticeZero' post very much.

Women can be very good instructors, I wouldn't prefer a woman as an only teacher whatsoever. There is certain qualitys that they just don't have like men do.

"People study from boredom. They fall in love, get married and reproduce from boredom. And finally die from boredom." -Georg Buchner

• 2 weeks later...

I train where there are no women intructors, so I do not lean one way or the other. There were women blackbelts, but they choose not to teach. The thought of them teaching does not scare me. I would actually like the different approach that a woman could bring.