• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unlocking Naihanchi Shodan

Ueshirokarate

Remember, there are no turns in the Niafanchi series like there are in other katas.

:)

One of our second dan forms, Poe Eun, is like this. It isn't a very long form, and it all goes in one line, from side to side. All back stances, sitting stances, and a few cross-leg stances.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, there are no turns in the Niafanchi series like there are in other katas.

:)

One of our second dan forms, Poe Eun, is like this. It isn't a very long form, and it all goes in one line, from side to side. All back stances, sitting stances, and a few cross-leg stances.

I'd like to see that...[HINT]...myself...[HINT]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Some believe that praying mantis' form Dai Fan Che is the mother "kata" of the Naihanchi forms. It has a turn in it:

rtsp://v3.cache2.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQmFaET1tkqVlBMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYIfL1eLG-OOOTgw=/0/0/0/video.3gp

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Some believe that praying mantis' form Dai Fan Che is the mother "kata" of the Naihanchi forms. It has a turn in it:

rtsp://v3.cache2.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQmFaET1tkqVlBMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYIfL1eLG-OOOTgw=/0/0/0/video.3gp

I can't open the link because my puter didn't like the "rtsp" at the beginning of that address.

:-?

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I found this one on utube

No resemblence to the old Nahachin that I do excepty in the most general martial arts sense (has kicks, blocks and punches)

Or this one, which actually does have a few techniques which are similar, but to say Nahachin came from it would be a stretch IMO.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I found this one on utube

No resemblence to the old Nahachin that I do excepty in the most general martial arts sense (has kicks, blocks and punches)

Or this one, which actually does have a few techniques which are similar, but to say Nahachin came from it would be a stretch IMO.

That is the same vid I linked. Outside of the phonetical resemblence to the names, you need to slow down the guys hands and look at the movements. There are a ton of like movements to the naihachis (not just naihanchi shodan) including the linear movement of the form. Heck, even the downward movement of the opening resembles Naihanchi Sho's opening. You must realize that there are difference in Naihanchis from school to school even amongst styles that claim a common lineage. You can't expect a modern performace of Dai Fan Che to look identical to a modern performace of Naihanchi. Don't forget the Naihanchis were also infused with Okinawan te. I looked at that performance and was actually amazed at the similarites, the widshield washer like forearm sweeps, the elbow techniques, the linear movement of the form, the upward leg sweeps, etc.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)