• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unlocking Naihanchi Shodan

Ueshirokarate

Don't know about you guys, but I see Naihanchi at work here:

I've been doing Nahachin since 1975 and I sure didn't see it in that demo. There was a sweep..yes, is that what you're referring to?

Not just the sweep, but also the upper arm movements with that sweep. While we are both Shorin Ryu stylists, our katas may be slightly different.

Yeah, they must be because there are no punches like that in Nahachin 1-3...the older version anyway.

Its not the punches. It is the sweep and throw. If your kata is anything like the one we do, you should be able to see what I am talking about. Look at his hands as he sweeps. He is holding the uke in the same position you would be in the kata with your two fists in a ready position.

Imho, that's just an assumed interpretation of its Bunkai.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been doing Nahachin since 1975 and I sure didn't see it in that demo. There was a sweep..yes, is that what you're referring to?

Yeah...I'm with you on that observation; the sweeps were the only spots I saw any comparison at all.

Quite difficult over the internet. Wish I could demonstrate for you guys. I guess technology still has its limits.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Yeah...I'm with you on that observation; the sweeps were the only spots I saw any comparison at all.

Quite difficult over the internet. Wish I could demonstrate for you guys. I guess technology still has its limits.

SKYPE!!

or

YOUTUBE!!

:idea:

Remember, there are no turns in the Niafanchi series like there are in other katas.

But there could be--when you run it try pivoting around 180 degrees on every step where you cross your feet and it makes things interesting :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Remember, there are no turns in the Niafanchi series like there are in other katas.

What I noticed in the video was the transition from one position in the kata to another, including the foot sweep, not that all of what he was doing was Naihanchi, but his technique on the grab, sweep and throw is identical to the form of Naihanchi Shodan I practice.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

But there could be--when you run it try pivoting around 180 degrees on every step where you cross your feet and it makes things interesting :P

I like that...interesting!!