• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unlocking Naihanchi Shodan

Ueshirokarate

Yes, that is equally true. As society, and technology, change over time, kata bunkai changes. At one time, jujitsu kata had to address fighting in armor against opponents dressed in kind. This is no longer true, and accordingly judo kata has changed.

Edited by honoluludesktop

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To save the length of my post, and if I continue, it would be a long post, so let me just say this about the Niahanchi series....OH WHAT A RUSH!!

:)

Perhaps when you come down, Bob, you can show me this kata. In TKD, we do a form that seems to have a "back to the wall" theme, called Po Eun. We do it at 2nd degree black, though. I do think Choi might have pulled some of Niahanchi for it.

Most likely he did. Also Yoo-Sin seems to copy some of it.

Imho, Po Eun is much more closer to Naifanchi than Yoo Sin.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

To save the length of my post, and if I continue, it would be a long post, so let me just say this about the Niahanchi series....OH WHAT A RUSH!!

Perhaps when you come down, Bob, you can show me this kata. In TKD, we do a form that seems to have a "back to the wall" theme, called Po Eun. We do it at 2nd degree black, though. I do think Choi might have pulled some of Niahanchi for it.

oh yeah definitely, however, Yoo-sin is one of my current patterns and there are sections of Naihanchi that remind me of it :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

oh yeah definitely, however, Yoo-sin is one of my current patterns and there are sections of Naihanchi that remind me of it :)

Yeah, I saw the spots were it resembled Naihanchi.

Don't know about you guys, but I see Naihanchi at work here:

I've been doing Nahachin since 1975 and I sure didn't see it in that demo. There was a sweep..yes, is that what you're referring to?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I've been doing Nahachin since 1975 and I sure didn't see it in that demo. There was a sweep..yes, is that what you're referring to?

Not just the sweep, but also the upper arm movements with that sweep. While we are both Shorin Ryu stylists, our katas may be slightly different.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Not just the sweep, but also the upper arm movements with that sweep. While we are both Shorin Ryu stylists, our katas may be slightly different.

Yeah, they must be because there are no punches like that in Nahachin 1-3...the older version anyway.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Yeah, they must be because there are no punches like that in Nahachin 1-3...the older version anyway.

Its not the punches. It is the sweep and throw. If your kata is anything like the one we do, you should be able to see what I am talking about. Look at his hands as he sweeps. He is holding the uke in the same position you would be in the kata with your two fists in a ready position.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Yeah...I'm with you on that observation; the sweeps were the only spots I saw any comparison at all.