• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

AMAZING Interview with BJJ Super Star Creater Lloyd Irvin!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree, it's an interesting take on BJJ and specifically the BJJ comp scene. I've read it before, but I gave it another go here. I think technically, when it comes to how to prepare for competition, he's defiantly a rising star and might just land a world champ pretty soon at the Worlds.

Just for instance, I saw a lot of his guys at the IBJJF here in Chicago earlier this year. Real solid crew, a lot of wins they got were by wrist lock. No one does wrist locks, hence, few people are expecting them. I think it's a weakness in the field that he saw and exploited by getting his guys to attack it.

Excellent strategy.

Here's the part of the interview I have a problem with:

You’re either winning or losing. And each and every day you’re either moving closer or further away from your goal. No matter what your goals are. For BJJ, no matter if you want to compete or not. In life, deciding on what you would consider success and putting yourself in a position to become successful. 97% of the population is losers and only 3% of the population is winners and you have to decide what percentage group you want to be in. Then surround yourself, or find a way, to get around the 3% group. For example, in BJJ, if an instructor makes excuses for their students losses like, “Don’t worry about it, he was stronger than you, he outweighed you, he’s a 3 stripe purple belt and you just got your purple belt” then that instructor is in the 97% group, the 3 % group doesn’t make excuses. I could go on and on about this but hopefully you get my point. I believe that in everything that you do you’re either winning or losing, either doing what it takes to win or lose and you just have to be honest with yourself and decide if you want to be a winner or a loser. If you want to get your masters degree, then winning will be actually getting your masters degree. So. if in your quest for your degree and you skip a class, then you’re losing that day. If you fail to complete your homework, you are a loser that day and so one. You’re either winning or losing. This applies to everything.

Attitude like this is largely in opposition with what most psych people will tell you is health for a normal life. Now, if all you ever want to do is compete, then it might be the way to go. What happens when you're done with that, have you really developed an internal loci of control to sustain happiness beyond your next medal? I don't know, but after a couple of decades in various arts, and a love of BJJ myself, I can certainly say I'd hate training in this environment.

Personally, the attitude he talks about, upset by tapping in training, ect. I've never witness in gyms OTHER than hyper competitive focused ones. It's not a common attitude in BJJ culture.

What I can appreciate in what he's saying is, again, centered around his technical breakdown of the game. He's worried about the fundamentals of his high level comp guys. This is SO overlooked by so many people these days it's refreshing to see new school guys preaching it as well.

tallgeese I actually quite like that part you quoted. IMO in life it is about success, and human nature is about success, be it at school, work, sports, martial arts, with love life, etc. It's about believing in your dreams, putting everything on your side and trying your best to make it happen :)

tallgeese I actually quite like that part you quoted. IMO in life it is about success, and human nature is about success, be it at school, work, sports, martial arts, with love life, etc. It's about believing in your dreams, putting everything on your side and trying your best to make it happen :)

Sure, but that's already in opposition to whay he's exposuing. The vibe I get from his quote is that this kind of "trying" mentality would put you in the "loser" braket. Becasue if you're trying, then you're not actually the best and thus in trying you're making an excuse. It's just a bit much for me.

I just don't see 97% of the population as losers.

I think you're seeing this out of context. I'm pretty sure he means 97% of the population in that discipline are losers, as only a very few end up champions.

Even if we look at it that way, and I'm not sure that's what he's saying given his example is about life in general, but even if we narrow the focus of his words to the BJJ community, then that means that 97 percent of BJJ practitioners are "losers" because they haven't won a major world title.

That means that they guys who self motivates himself 2-4 times a week to put himself thru training, takes time out of his day and work and family continually pressing his improvement forward is a loser? This seems counter intuitive to what most people will tell you the art is about.

We could narrow the focus more and say competitive BJJ players. So no world title means a loser? Despite having the courage to step on a mat competitively and put it on the line against similar fighters in age and weight and skill? Again, counter intuitive to healthy and happy living as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention I'm not sure that's what the art side of all this would have you get out of it.

Its actually about progression towards ones goals.

Regarding "trying" If your headed towards the direction of your goal you haven't achieved it yet doesn't make you a loser. Eventually you will get there as long as you stay on the path. The problem occurs when ones path they are on is not heading towards ones goal.

Lets use JT Torres for example. He wants to be a Black Belt World Champion. He hasn't reach it yet does that make him a loser? Absolutely not. Eventually I believe he will get there. However if he is saying he wants to be a world champ but skips his practices and conditioning routine several times a month and goes instead to play video games, and eat junk food. He is a loser in that goal because those distractions do not put him on the same path that helps him progress towards his goal.

Also people rationalize their way out of success by coming up with reasons that are really excuses. Now don't get me wrong some can be legitmete. "I was to tired from work to train today" . Sure you can be so dead tired due to work that going to class isn't going to help you out (in fact it could end up a safety hazard) at all. However that's few and far between most of the time its an excuse to not put in the work it takes to be succesful. Its being lazy, so a person cretes these reasons "excuses" to rationalize why its okay to step off the path towards their goal. That is what LLoyd is also getting at. If you really, truly want something your heart desires. Set your goals, get rid of the excuses (that are really mental road blocks that hold you back) Your either winning towards your goal, or loosing towards your goal.

Lloyd is big on the mental aspect of training. It can either help you push forward passed what you thought your limits are for improvement, or hold you back and defeat you in the form of excuses, lazyness, ect.

You can call it sports physcology or what ever. Bottm line is it is least taught training aspect of the Martail Arts. Most gyms have the tecniucal and conditioning down but few cover the mental hurdles and how to get the mind right. which is one of the most important aspects of training.

Good resource that covers having a strong mental training program is one of Lloyd Irvin's black belts Paul Greenhill. He covers in detail about mental training for Jiu-Jitsu targeted specifically for Older Grapplers 35+ To help them out in there Martial Arts Journey and to help them over come the mental hurdles they will face. However his material will benefit every one young and old. It really gives you good insight into the mind of Lloyd Irvin and what he teaches regarding that important (yet often neglected) aspect of training. You can check it out at https://www.Wisegrappler.com

Its helped me alot in training. The more I study about Lloyd the more I am impressed with the man. I learn so much. I love his coaching style and I can tell he will get the results he is going for. He will have a BJJ world Champion. I wouldn't be suprised if in another 10 or 15 years he has a big enough team to compete against the power house Brazilian teams.

I'm in agreement with you Adonis, I'm just not sure that's what he's saying here. Regardless, it's hard to tell without being actually present to see the day to day vibe of his classroom.

I agree that at this pace he'll kick out a wold champ team for sure. I just don't think I'd be that interested in training with him. The attitude and feel seem to be competitive focused. It's just not my cup of tea. Not saying it's wrong, because I agree he'll turn out a world champ before long, just it's not for me.

I'm pretty much into the art side of BJJ, with a secondary interest in competition. It doesn't hurt the stuff helps me considerably with my job. According to Groinstrike, I've become very much the "jiu jitsu hippie" so the hard core motivations of Irving just don't do it for me.

Now, I'll never argue the man doesn't know or understand the game. Just that his brand of BJJ and motivation aren't for me.

I'm in agreement with you Adonis, I'm just not sure that's what he's saying here. Regardless, it's hard to tell without being actually present to see the day to day vibe of his classroom.

I agree that at this pace he'll kick out a wold champ team for sure. I just don't think I'd be that interested in training with him. The attitude and feel seem to be competitive focused. It's just not my cup of tea. Not saying it's wrong, because I agree he'll turn out a world champ before long, just it's not for me.

I'm pretty much into the art side of BJJ, with a secondary interest in competition. It doesn't hurt the stuff helps me considerably with my job. According to Groinstrike, I've become very much the "jiu jitsu hippie" so the hard core motivations of Irving just don't do it for me.

Now, I'll never argue the man doesn't know or understand the game. Just that his brand of BJJ and motivation aren't for me.

I talked with one of his black belts about 4 years ago. Back in last 90's Lloyd Class was basically about competion, training hard, or go home! They didn't have alot of people for obvious reasons few are going to go through that type of training. Now its alot diffrent and you got things broken down where you have class for those compete and those who don't. They are diffrent enviroments. This why in the interview Lloyd talking about fostering a culture in his class. Those who can't handle it need to go to his other class that they would be more comfortable. He couldn't allow them though to stay in that class with out stepping up. Other wise it brings down the competion team. Nothing wrong with having a set class for that.

Actually I contacted Lloyd after I made this thread, what I wrote was/is what he ment. I think you would be suprised about his classes if you went to one. I have heard nothing but good things from others who have went. I personally have never been to one, as I am on the west coast and haven't made my way up there.