• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about jiujitsu before I sign up for a class

Well, I never took the class, so how could I know?

I assume you're gathering information, so if nothing else you'd know because we told you.

That said, Lee had a strong philosophy of "Do what works". He communicated that more than the results of his research. "What works" is not a question with a single answer, though. So some JKD people focus on wrestling techniques, some do arnis, some do boxing hybrids, some do unholy mishmashes of a thousand arts, none of which they can do with anything resembling skill.. it's practically an open license to do whatever you want. Some are good, some are bad, but just saying "It's JKD' says nothing about what is taught.

Hmm, that dosent sound appealing to me. I'd like something with structure and focus, not just a mishmash of whatever. That's what I found appealing about karate to begin with. It had history, structure, foundation, and purpose. That's not to say that I'm saying karate is the only one to have these qualitys, I'm just saying it appealed to me more.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJJ and Arnis both have those. As noted, on account of your knee, i'd take a closer look at the Arnis; you already have some wrestling background, so you're already smarter than the average bear in that department, and you likely have enough skill to deal with a non-groundfighter handily in a grappling situation - that's better than many people have. That's me, though; I am very risk-averse when it comes to exposing injuries to danger.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

BJJ and Arnis both have those. As noted, on account of your knee, i'd take a closer look at the Arnis; you already have some wrestling background, so you're already smarter than the average bear in that department, and you likely have enough skill to deal with a non-groundfighter handily in a grappling situation - that's better than many people have.

Yeah, I guess. As I said, I wasn't good at it, but I do remember things from it. My main thing with the fillipino martial art is that if they're going to be teaching me techniques with sticks, what happens when I don't have said sticks and I need to protect myself. With karate and other styles you rely on you feet and hands, which you always have with you

They teach you techniques with sticks in the same way that Aikido exclusively teaches you techniques with swords. It has a bunch of joint locks, takedowns, and other unarmed hand to hand, that happens to be based on stick/dagger/sword movements.

Aikido - that Japanese art that everyone associates with pacifists without weapons throwing and locking people as they attack - is all sword stuff. Nobody asks "What do they do if they don't have a sword?" Arnisadors learn how to do techniques with sticks, and then go "Oh and here's how to apply it with bare hands to do all these really awesome things". And that's not counting where they mix in all the stuff that Presas worked in from judo and small circle jujutsu that happened to blend in with the base art well, throws and standing joint locking stuff that was made for bare hands. So don't worry about the weapon bit. You wouldn't be weapon-dependent.

They teach you techniques with sticks in the same way that Aikido exclusively teaches you techniques with swords. It has a bunch of joint locks, takedowns, and other unarmed hand to hand, that happens to be based on stick/dagger/sword movements.

Aikido - that Japanese art that everyone associates with pacifists without weapons throwing and locking people as they attack - is all sword stuff. Nobody asks "What do they do if they don't have a sword?" Arnisadors learn how to do techniques with sticks, and then go "Oh and here's how to apply it with bare hands to do all these really awesome things". And that's not counting where they mix in all the stuff that Presas worked in from judo and small circle jujutsu that happened to blend in with the base art well, throws and standing joint locking stuff that was made for bare hands. So don't worry about the weapon bit. You wouldn't be weapon-dependent.

Hmm, interesting. ill give the Arnis a try then. Seems like it could be fun.

NLK, just for clarification, are you talking about traditional jiu jitsu from Japan or BJJ? It's been an issue before. Clarification would help guide responses at bit.

First off, if you're looking at JJJ, then chances are you won't have an knee issues that you wouldn't have an many other stand up arts. Coming out of a background in a standing joint position system, I can say that I'm certain that my knees didn't get stomped more than a lot of other guys here.

If you're referring to BJJ, then Justice is right, there will be more activity with the legs. The obvious example is playing guard, especially when you look at some of the more exotic varieties like De La Riva. On a more common note, just the transitions and positioning can put your knees in odd positions from time to time.

Now, don't let this discourage you if you're really interested. A good school with an emphasis on the art of it will treat your knees just fine, but be up front about your medical issues.

It's Brazilian. Actualy, the more I think about it, the more I kInda think it might not be for me. I didnt like getting slammed in wrestling, so I doubt I'll like it in jiujitsu. However part of me wants to get over that and toughen up. I just wanna try new things.

It sounds like you've gotten some good advice in this thread already and have a path kind of in mind. That's good. Let me just take a second to point out a bit of a misconception here that might lead a lot of people away from BJJ.

You reference getting slammed in wrestling and hence, you'll probably not like it in BJJ. If you find a traditional art-focused BJJ school, you'll not have a bunch of slamming. BJJ's close association with MMA here in the states has kind of made people assume that this is the case. It's really not.

In BJJ, a premium is placed on relaxation and flow. Very little on strength based ballistic movements. Even when we work takedowns, the same sentiment is in place. If that's the only thing holding your checking it out back, I think you might be surprised.

Still, find the art that suits you and what you want best. Again, Justice and the others have given some excellent advice. Make sure and check out a few clubs before you sign on the dotted line to get a vibe from each to see how you'll fit.

Keep us posted.

Any martial art, and most other activities, are going to put some stress on your knees. That said, the strength the arts will help bring to the musculature around the knee will aid in further stabilizing them.

As long as you tell your instructor that you have theses issues, he will be sure you are safe during training. Don't be afraid to communicate your issues with any training partners as well. If someone is too rough...find a new partner. People train for different reasons, make sure you train with people who are training for the same reasons as you and you won't have any problems.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

NLK, just for clarification, are you talking about traditional jiu jitsu from Japan or BJJ? It's been an issue before. Clarification would help guide responses at bit.

First off, if you're looking at JJJ, then chances are you won't have an knee issues that you wouldn't have an many other stand up arts. Coming out of a background in a standing joint position system, I can say that I'm certain that my knees didn't get stomped more than a lot of other guys here.

If you're referring to BJJ, then Justice is right, there will be more activity with the legs. The obvious example is playing guard, especially when you look at some of the more exotic varieties like De La Riva. On a more common note, just the transitions and positioning can put your knees in odd positions from time to time.

Now, don't let this discourage you if you're really interested. A good school with an emphasis on the art of it will treat your knees just fine, but be up front about your medical issues.

It's Brazilian. Actualy, the more I think about it, the more I kInda think it might not be for me. I didnt like getting slammed in wrestling, so I doubt I'll like it in jiujitsu. However part of me wants to get over that and toughen up. I just wanna try new things.

It sounds like you've gotten some good advice in this thread already and have a path kind of in mind. That's good. Let me just take a second to point out a bit of a misconception here that might lead a lot of people away from BJJ.

You reference getting slammed in wrestling and hence, you'll probably not like it in BJJ. If you find a traditional art-focused BJJ school, you'll not have a bunch of slamming. BJJ's close association with MMA here in the states has kind of made people assume that this is the case. It's really not.

In BJJ, a premium is placed on relaxation and flow. Very little on strength based ballistic movements. Even when we work takedowns, the same sentiment is in place. If that's the only thing holding your checking it out back, I think you might be surprised.

Still, find the art that suits you and what you want best. Again, Justice and the others have given some excellent advice. Make sure and check out a few clubs before you sign on the dotted line to get a vibe from each to see how you'll fit.

Keep us posted.

I'm honestly considering just doing both jiujitsu and arnis this semester. But that might be too much, I need to see what other stuff I'm taking.

In college (up until now when I get a list from my advisor and are told "you're taking these classes") I would always sign up for more than full time classes, and drop the one that was the worst taught/most aggravating/riskiest during the free drop period.

• 4 weeks later...

well if ur planning on doing jujitsu... take judo instead ;) lol. no for real tho honestly, judo is a much easier and less... violent version of jujitsu... the gentle way is much easier, and when its simplified, you can focus on execution. i dont know anything about arnis, sooo im not getting into that lol.

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"