• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about jiujitsu before I sign up for a class

Hey guys,

The karate class I wanted to take may not be offered this semester, so I thought I might try jiujitsu. However, my knees are kinda weak, and by that I mean they can pop in and out of socket if messed in the wrong way. It hasn't happened since high school wrestling, but I did have to have surgery on my left knee because it poped out of socket and tore the ligaments. I was just wondering if this would be enough of a issue to advise nol to try this. I'm not sure how much of this martial art involves knee/leg holds and whatever.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure someone who knows more about JJ specifically will pop in here shortly. My almost completely uneducated perception is that they do a moderate amount of leg stuff.

That said, maybe the inevitable groundfighting expert might find it easier if they knew more about the teacher/class/whatever, and also, what your other options are?

Plus, how much wrestling did you do?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'm sure someone who knows more about JJ specifically will pop in here shortly. My almost completely uneducated perception is that they do a moderate amount of leg stuff.

That said, maybe the inevitable groundfighting expert might find it easier if they knew more about the teacher/class/whatever, and also, what your other options are?

Plus, how much wrestling did you do?

I did about two years. I wasnt very good at it. Ha ha. Honestly, I just really wanted to take a martial art this semester so it's between this, fillipino martial arts (eskrima and Arnis) or jeet kune do.

Arnis is, as I recall, based on stickfighting, dagger fighting (which was usually 'what's left of the stick after the first few hits' back in the day, apparently) and empty hand fighting, using the same base. I've heard good things about it. It's not exclusively stickfighting, though you'd be using sticks a lot in it. Mostly hands, very fast paced.

The whole weapons to hands thing is nothing new, Aikido is well known and it's a bunch of people doing sword techniques with their bare hands for the purpose of throwing people around the room with various bits broken off.

JKD is the school that Bruce Lee set up, yes. Unfortunately, Lee's philosophy was such that saying that a class teaches JKD does not, in fact, convey any information about what they will be doing in the class!

Arnis is, as I recall, based on stickfighting, dagger fighting (which was usually 'what's left of the stick after the first few hits' back in the day, apparently) and empty hand fighting, using the same base. I've heard good things about it. It's not exclusively stickfighting, though you'd be using sticks a lot in it. Mostly hands, very fast paced.

The whole weapons to hands thing is nothing new, Aikido is well known and it's a bunch of people doing sword techniques with their bare hands for the purpose of throwing people around the room with various bits broken off.

JKD is the school that Bruce Lee set up, yes. Unfortunately, Lee's philosophy was such that saying that a class teaches JKD does not, in fact, convey any information about what they will be doing in the class!

Well, I never took the class, so how could I know?

NLK, just for clarification, are you talking about traditional jiu jitsu from Japan or BJJ? It's been an issue before. Clarification would help guide responses at bit.

First off, if you're looking at JJJ, then chances are you won't have an knee issues that you wouldn't have an many other stand up arts. Coming out of a background in a standing joint position system, I can say that I'm certain that my knees didn't get stomped more than a lot of other guys here.

If you're referring to BJJ, then Justice is right, there will be more activity with the legs. The obvious example is playing guard, especially when you look at some of the more exotic varieties like De La Riva. On a more common note, just the transitions and positioning can put your knees in odd positions from time to time.

Now, don't let this discourage you if you're really interested. A good school with an emphasis on the art of it will treat your knees just fine, but be up front about your medical issues.

NLK, just for clarification, are you talking about traditional jiu jitsu from Japan or BJJ? It's been an issue before. Clarification would help guide responses at bit.

First off, if you're looking at JJJ, then chances are you won't have an knee issues that you wouldn't have an many other stand up arts. Coming out of a background in a standing joint position system, I can say that I'm certain that my knees didn't get stomped more than a lot of other guys here.

If you're referring to BJJ, then Justice is right, there will be more activity with the legs. The obvious example is playing guard, especially when you look at some of the more exotic varieties like De La Riva. On a more common note, just the transitions and positioning can put your knees in odd positions from time to time.

Now, don't let this discourage you if you're really interested. A good school with an emphasis on the art of it will treat your knees just fine, but be up front about your medical issues.

It's Brazilian. Actualy, the more I think about it, the more I kInda think it might not be for me. I didnt like getting slammed in wrestling, so I doubt I'll like it in jiujitsu. However part of me wants to get over that and toughen up. I just wanna try new things.

Well, I never took the class, so how could I know?

I assume you're gathering information, so if nothing else you'd know because we told you.

That said, Lee had a strong philosophy of "Do what works". He communicated that more than the results of his research. "What works" is not a question with a single answer, though. So some JKD people focus on wrestling techniques, some do arnis, some do boxing hybrids, some do unholy mishmashes of a thousand arts, none of which they can do with anything resembling skill.. it's practically an open license to do whatever you want. Some are good, some are bad, but just saying "It's JKD' says nothing about what is taught.