• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Karate style...?

Shohane

hi i take isshinryu i am an San kyu (3rd degree brown belt) i belive take what ever style you want but isshinryu is the strongest of them all as far as stance wise we do a lot of stuff that helps you prtect your self its a styel that teaches how to kill an attacker if needed to be and plus its and very fun style to learn but i also took bjj and some other style vary your options

I can show you Isshin Ryu and just about every other karate style dojo that sucks, including the style I teach, Kyokushin.

Like everybody said, it depends on the teacher(s) for what style you're studying. I even know of almost entire organizations I'd avoid for various martial arts.

Visit the dojos you have an interest in, at least observe a class if not join in a "trial class." Many different dojo allow a trial class...

I'd avoid any dojo that doesn't allow you to observe and/or do a trial class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the best is Traditional Karate. In this name are few styles or how some people say's schools ( a way how someone teaches karate.) The main and the most know styles/school are : Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu alsow Fodokan(Prof. Jorga's school of Shotokan, how he said "Fodokan is elite of Shotokan").

For me the most important is if the style teaches us todome waza( the way how to destroy all offensive power of our enemy ).

Then this is not a sport but a true martial art.

My style is Traditional Karate, Shudokan. The founder of Shudokan is Kanken Toyama, who taught Shihan Walter Todd, whom my Sensei had the privilege to learn from. My Sensei also was trained under Shihan Morris Mack.

I am currently a blue belt, and in our system, hope to progress to green, then brown and finally, black. :) But looking forward to a lifetime of learning.

The family that kicks together, sticks together!

I did some research on Karate styles and found three styles that are taught in my city: Isshin Ryu, Shotokan, Wado.

I'm interested in learning Karate but I'm very small & skinny for my age (I'm 21 years old). Could you tell me which style is less physically demanding than others and focus on flexibility?

If the schools have a website, post them here so we can have a look at them. Otherwise, go the the free classes, talk to the instructor, do they spar regularly, blah blah.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard