• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Karate style...?

Shohane

I did some research on Karate styles and found three styles that are taught in my city: Isshin Ryu, Shotokan, Wado.

I'm interested in learning Karate but I'm very small & skinny for my age (I'm 21 years old). Could you tell me which style is less physically demanding than others and focus on flexibility?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 23 when I started and was 6'6" tall and around 200 lbs..which is pretty skinney for that height. I've been at it now since 1975.

You need to forget the "which style is less physically demanding than others" and choose the system that you like the best. All will be physically demanding.

Personal;lyv of the 3 mentioned, I'd go for the Issin Ryu.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I agree with the above posts. First, I strongly believe it's more important that you choose based the specific dojos and senseis than the styles. Second, I think Isshin Ryu stresses speed over power more than the other styles you mentioned, and that seems to fit your criteria better.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I agree with the above posts. First, I strongly believe it's more important that you choose based the specific dojos and senseis than the styles. Second, I think Isshin Ryu stresses speed over power more than the other styles you mentioned, and that seems to fit your criteria better.

^^^^This. Your choice should be the best school in your area. Visit all the schools in your area, watch some classes, speak to the instructors and students, check out the credentials of the instructors, etc. The chemistry and quality has to be the most important factors in making a decision. The style should be one of the last factors. One other consideration is how widespread the system the school in case you move. I am fortunate enough to have chosen Matsubayashi, which is very traditional and pretty widespread. If I needed to move to another state, I probably could find a quality school with this style.

I would also add to it that any legitimate style will be physically demanding. This is good, as karate will do amazing things for you and make you far more athletic than you ever thought you could be.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

^^^^This. Your choice should be the best school in your area. Visit all the schools in your area, watch some classes, speak to the instructors and students, check out the credentials of the instructors, etc. The chemistry and quality has to be the most important factors in making a decision. The style should be one of the last factors. One other consideration is how widespread the system the school in case you move. I am fortunate enough to have chosen Matsubayashi, which is very traditional and pretty widespread. If I needed to move to another state, I probably could find a quality school with this style.

I would also add to it that any legitimate style will be physically demanding. This is good, as karate will do amazing things for you and make you far more athletic than you ever thought you could be.

I agree, its not about style its about YOU. Each system has it good bits and its bad bits. For me I would say Wado, but that's because I have more experience of Wado Ryu

As stated, attend the classes, talk to the Instructors AND the students. Also a good school will offer 1 or 2 free lessons. Take up the free lessons and DON'T sign any contracts UNTIL YOU have decided which one is best for YOU

Let us know how you get on

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree, its not about style its about YOU. Each system has it good bits and its bad bits. For me I would say Wado, but that's because I have more experience of Wado Ryu

As stated, attend the classes, talk to the Instructors AND the students. Also a good school will offer 1 or 2 free lessons. Take up the free lessons and DON'T sign any contracts UNTIL YOU have decided which one is best for YOU

Let us know how you get on

I might add one thing. From my experience the most expensive school is usually not the best choice.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I'd recommend Wado I've studied several styles and i found wado to be the best by far. But as mentioned before it is also about you and your instructor i'd recommend seeing if the clubs offer a trial period so you can see which one REALLY fits you the best.

Works is Freedom

I'd worry less about the style and more about the instructor. Do a trial period at a few places (if you can) or at least sit in on a class or two. Figure out what kind of instruction works for you, and if you can, find an instructor who carries the style, rather than somebody who lets the style carry them.

• 2 weeks later...
I did some research on Karate styles and found three styles that are taught in my city: Isshin Ryu, Shotokan, Wado.

I'm interested in learning Karate but I'm very small & skinny for my age (I'm 21 years old). Could you tell me which style is less physically demanding than others and focus on flexibility?

kyokushin the best style :)