• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here's an absolutely fantastic match I came across on you tube. Truly an amazing display of high level competitors at play. The relaxation and transition is incredible. BJJ at it's finest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBqw0ZjBKk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

awesome stuff, you know you are watching too high level guys when you never see one guy tighten down. Not even a facial expression, they are totally relaxed and have a unbelievable calmness about them. Not to mention the precision of their movements and placements.

Marcelo Garcia is an absolute pleasure to watch move on the mat.

Without a doubt. Good point about the total calm, they never stress down even in negitive situations. This says a lot about how high level jiu jitsu should look.

I love the look at transitions these guys give in this vid. Around the 3:30 mark Torress rolls thru some inverted stuff, he's switching between De La Rive adn reverse De La Rive the whole time and Garcia...well, he's just everywhere smooth. Always moving and tranisitioning to work different positions.

It's training to expand the game at it's best.

• 4 weeks later...

Great link thanks for sharing. Makes you look at you own game. I have a video of my self and a guy that I train BJJ with and have shown it to my karate training partners. They say it looks like there's no effort shown in the video and I asure them that it's more intence than the video displays. But this video is inspirational if you as me.

Nice vid, pitbull. Thanks for sharing.

I took note of "the red ball of death" that kept attacking you at around 3:00. That happens at the club I train at all the time. Someone knocks an exercise ball out of it's spot and the thing takes off like it has a mind of it's own to get in the mix.

I noticed in the last couple of transitions you guys moved thru a couple of near leg attack routines. Do you routinely train those, or was it a case of just moving thru positions and that's where you landed? Just curious, we hold off on leg locks until quite deep in training.

Again, thanks for posting. Cool to see other members in action.

Thanks Tallgeese. Yes the ball of death came out that morning. As for the leg locks we have yet to start with with them but when rolling with the instructor we are reminded they are there. I have had to stop myself several times when I find them. We had a good roll that morning.

I took the liberty of checking out your other video that popped up with that link. Looks like you guys have a pretty cool training set up.

We do the same kind of thing in regard to leg locks. If you compete, my BJJ coach will work defensive stuff with you while you roll with him when it comes up just so you don't get something ripped off by a jerk in comps. He'll actually start showing them to you at purple, again, just when you're rolling with him, not class wide.

We stay off them mostly, when I roll with other guys, I tap as soon as one is even attempted. I like my ACL :) .

Aside from the heightened risk of injury, my coach makes the point that if you start them too soon, no one develops an open guard game because they are scared of losing an appendage.

One of those interesting things to discuss. Again, nice job.

Also I forgot to mention I'm the one in black. I don't know at what level my instructor introduces leg locks but that fine I'm there to learn. As far as the training set up goes I have it pretty good at both schools I attend. Where I train BJJ is a separate facility from my standup training. Both are nice though. The only time I have to worry about leg locks are rolling with my instructor or when I roll at my home dojo but I have decent defense on the later. I'm sure if I were to compete in a tournament were leg locks are allowed my BJJ instructor would properly prepare me. Feel free to check out any of our videos.