• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ and Sanda

Sanda is kickboxing and throws. Although there are not Sanda gyms around me, what I've seen of the sport is similar to my type of stand up fighting. The stance is lower than typical Muay Thai stance, due to the emphasis on throws. As a short, heavy guy, I'd rather lay on you than kickbox.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For maximum usefulness? Wrestling and BJJ. You put them on the ground, and you tap them out. It's like a one two punch with the...punch.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I would pick combat sambo and catch wrestling since systema looks terrible under mma rules and systema isn't really effective with gloves on.

Hows it not effective with gloves on? :-? What are you striking with? Thought most MMA gloves allowed you to do pretty much anything. Just curious.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Nevermind I think elements of systema would work in mma. Systema could be meshed with combat sambo seamlessly. Systema is awesome for escaping from certain posiitions, and having a level of relaxness in the body seems to make striking more effective. I shouldn't have a preconcieve notion about sysetema in mma by just watching a video on youtube. I saw a systema guy that kept on slapping an mma guy and it looked pathetic.

Edited by kamahlthedruid

I'm down with sticking with my TKD training and adding some BJJ. Our TKD school doesn't fit the negative stereo type surrounding a lot of WTF schools, we have a very heavy focus on throws and take downs for defense as well as the traditional TKD kicks and punches. I think my stand up and "getting people to the ground" games are pretty well rounded, so the BJJ would be for once i am on the ground.

On a side note, my master said recently that any TKD school that doesn't teach wrist locks throws, and take downs is only teaching half the art and that when he was in Korea learning TKD as a youth it was an extremely rounded art form. His experiences in the US with other schools and what's being taught actually makes him sad because what's typically taught over here is so watered down compared to what he learned in Korea.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."