• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you could only pick two styles to train in for the MMA what would they be. Yes this is just a hypothetical for a bit of fun, i do realise that more often then you need more then just two.

I think Mauy Thai and Judo would work though i feel so inlined to say Kyokushin because I practise it.

I also think maybe combining two grappeling arts such as Judo and BJJ which would mean as long as you can get a grip on them you have a very good chance. Though my first choice is what I'm going with as its well rounded for a stand up fighter and can still defend against grappelers.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai and JJJ. Lots of MMA fighters use BJJ but I figure if BJJ is as efficient as it is, why not study the style it came from? :idea:

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Muay Thai and JJJ. Lots of MMA fighters use BJJ but I figure if BJJ is as efficient as it is, why not study the style it came from? :idea:

Thank you! I am not hating on BJJ because I would actually like to try it out but I just wanted to capitalize on what you said because it seems like everybody I talk to thinks that BJJ did not come from JJJ, and when I type in JUJUTSU on youtube or google all the searches that come up are brazilian jiujiutsu and it kinda bothers me seeing traditional martial arts being sort of swept under the rug by all the newer MA's

The path leading to anger and conflict is wide and easy to travel the path leading to self control and discipline is narrow and difficult

Thank you! I am not hating on BJJ because I would actually like to try it out but I just wanted to capitalize on what you said because it seems like everybody I talk to thinks that BJJ did not come from JJJ, and when I type in JUJUTSU on youtube or google all the searches that come up are brazilian jiujiutsu and it kinda bothers me seeing traditional martial arts being sort of swept under the rug by all the newer MA's

Its not just the popularity of BJJ that brings this about; it is popular because it is so effective. Yes, it did come from JJJ via Judo, but, the training methodology is different, and is what brings on its effectiveness. Just like randori was for making Judo training more popular than JJJ training, BJJ's ground fighting focus has done the same thing.

Why use an art designed for unarmed vs sword for unarmed comp when there is a perfectly good unarmed vs unarmed art?

Use it to take away Road Rage Guy's crowbar.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I'd like to stick with my TKD training, and add in some BJJ.

Ditto :D

Don't think you can deny BJJ's dominance over the ground game. Those guys have it sussed.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm pretty sure I would stick with Shorin-Ryu and Judo. I've considered trying an amateur fight with just the training I have (Shuri-Ryu basics, ongoing Shorin-Ryu training, Judo and a couple JJJ techniques) but I haven't committed to it as of yet.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society