• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Illinois State Jiu Jitsu Regulation

Hey all, just for discussion and information purposes I wanted to post this link to some commentary on new state regulation of BJJ comps in Illinois. It's the best synopsis I've found of what can be convoluted wording in official documents.

From what research I've been able to do over the past couple of days, it seems to be right on the mark for the implications to amateur BJJ comps in Illinois. It's such a deal breaker from a corporate standpoint that NAGA has already moved it's next tournies out of state and the IBJJF has postponed it's Fall open.

http://www.subcultureusa.com/news/il-house-passes-bill-1490

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alex,

WOW...that's all I can say at this time; this bill is a mouth full!! Government and the MA; an oxymoron if I ever saw. Again...OUCH!

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I saw this posted on another forum last night. As someone born and raised in Illinois, I have to say that I agree with MasterPain on all counts, including the "thoughts not agreeable with forum rules" portion.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

This really caught a lot of people by surprise. The strangest thing is that olympic sports are exempted. So Judo (the great crippler), boxing (famous for life altering head injuries), wrestling and TKD are all exempt from this legislation. It really only messes with sub grappling/jiu-jitsu, MMA, and martial arts other than TKD. I say that's fine...bring that revenue over here to Ohio!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

This is craziness. Sorry to hear about all that. What point are they trying to make through this legislation? Trying to prevent injuries? I'm guessing they don't really understand what is going on in the ring, and have never trained thus.

What is this bill trying to accomplish? I am shocked and appalled by such a blatant misunderstanding of what certain martial arts are about. I guess i shouldn't be suprised.

My question is how did this get introduced and go through the whole process without people like us noticing and going to Chicago to say, "Hey guys...WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?" Know what I'm saying?

BB of C, welcome to Chicago politics. I'm sure it was on a docket somewhere, but no one noticed until BBJ media outlets picked up the passage press release. Obviously, it's still not mainstream news, even here after two major torunies leave town.