• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uraken KO in MMA

RW

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is a demonstration that spinning techniques are effective. Many will say that one should never do spinning techniques, like the one in this video, because they are blind techniques, and in that, they expose to many targets.

Not if done correctly!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That is a demonstration that spinning techniques are effective. Many will say that one should never do spinning techniques, like the one in this video, because they are blind techniques, and in that, they expose to many targets.

Not if done correctly!!

:)

Traditional Martial Arts techniques can be harder to pull off, so many MMA practitioners say "they're not effective/don't do them". But then someone comes and shows that they can be done... first it was the front kick to the face (A. Silva), everybody thought that a high kick, especially a front one was too easy to catch... but he pulled it off.

Then Machida somehow pulled a crane kick vs Randy Couture.

Now we see spinning backfists.

Good times :karate:

Just some thoughts. Spinning back hand is not used much, so there is little preparation for defending it. If you wait for the opponent to tire, it will be more successful. So, in MMA, maybe the reward out weighs the risk. If you are blocked, can you imagine the position you will be in, back facing your opponent?

In karate, it is dangerous, and you could hurt your partner, so it is less likely used.

Edited by honoluludesktop

Spinning techniques may be hard/risky to land on an opponent but they sure do pack a tremendous amount of power.

Also did you see that guy's head hit the ground? That was a hard fall. Gotta love MMA. :wink:

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Shonnie Carter pulled the same sort of spinning backfist several years back. It's been done before. Heck, a friends son got a KO with a spinning backfist in the second round of his first ami fight. Done right, either with no telegraph, or a good set up strike, spinning techniques have a ton of power and if they connect, that person is in trouble.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

It's interesting that a lot of these low percentage karate techniques that has little chance of landing versus a karate practicioner is landing versus MMA people.

BTW, I wouldn't throw a spinning technique unless it's to finish off a person that I've already worn down and I know won't counter should I miss.

Plenty of spinning back fists miss. Most of it due to telegraphing, some are sent by Western Union. Those that land though, tend to get a really good result.

Most MMA guys go by a set formula, one that works well for the competition venue. They don't see a lot of spinning back fists with MT, Boxing, BJJ and Wrestling. It can definitely surprise.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine