• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why weapons training is useful!

lbouchet

Ok, the first post of this message didn't work :-? , so instead of re-typing everything, I'll keep it short!

I've noticed from reading messages on this board that some think that training with weapons is not very useful because after all, when are you going to have a sword on you if you get into a sticky situation?

In ninjutsu, along with empty-hand combat we fight mostly with knife, sword, 6-foot staff, and 3-foot staff. The usefulness of knowing how to knife-fight is indisputable -- just a couple days ago 6 people got stabbed at a local bar here! But what about sword and staffs? A bit anachronistic some might say. There are two good reasons to train with these weapons, however. The first is that, in our art, these weapons are treated as an extension of our bodies. Using sword or staff totally amplifies (and cleans up) mistakes in form and movement. Improved form and movement increases overall empty-hand combat effectiveness.

On a more direct level, even though you might not get attacked by a sword anymore these days, you might get attacked by a baseball bat or a crowbar or a hockey-stick (if you're Canadian!). If you've trained against sword, you'll be able to handle any of those long swinging-type weapons

mentioned.

As for staff -- well, ok, unless you're a shepherd you're probably not going to use 6-foot staff at all. But again -- it improves body movement. 3-foot staff is a different story. If you can handle a 3-foot staff, you can handle a cane, a walking stick, an umbrella, etc. Lots of everyday things can be substituted for it and turned into deadly defense weapons.

So please don't thing that facing a sword or knife or stick in class isn't useful, it might in fact be the best part of your training.

Any thoughts on this from others?

Peace.

ps -- not a white belt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To practice weapons for SD is one thing. I mean we all need to have some basic knowledge with a BO, Jo, knife, rope, commone everyday items. Why because for that reason. So we can use them when we see them. Other weapons we work with, Folding chairs, trash cans, car keys, comb, broom, mop, shovel, garden hose, your belt, even your hat and jacket.

We practice classic weapons like sword, numchuck, Sai, etc because of the history and tradition. Its very unlikly you will see those in real life but it brings you closer to your art. At the same time they are a lot of fun. Almost everyone as a child would sword fight with sticks or something. Then you got the whole tournament thing which I do not want to get into.

So weapons are a big part of MA. Even an art like Shotokan that does not teach weapons it teaches how to work aginst then. If yo know how to do that then you got a decent understanding of how to use them as well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The first is that, in our art, these weapons are treated as an extension of our bodies. Using sword or staff totally amplifies (and cleans up) mistakes in form and movement. Improved form and movement increases overall empty-hand combat effectiveness.

That's a good point. When I do a bo kata I feel like it's easier to get the movements right because I don't have to think about all the things my body is doing. I just have to think about where the bo is supposed to go and I tell my body to put it there. Once I know where the bo should be the rest seems to work itself out (and I'm less likely to think about it and mess it up). Maybe my form and movement are being improved in the process?

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Most definitly...WE also are taught that our weapons are no more than an extension of our bodies. I find that by training in kobudo I have greatly increased my control among other things. I find this helps me drastically with my karate technique and I use this control everyday. So aside from the obvious self-defense benifits there are also many "hidden" ones :)

P.S. why is the weapons forum in the general martial arts section? shouldn't it have remained with the other arts since the weaponed arts are martial arts on their own? Or is this just part of the temporary facelift the site is getting?

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Even an art like Shotokan that does not teach weapons it teaches how to work aginst then. If yo know how to do that then you got a decent understanding of how to use them as well.

Although I like what you wrote, I disagree with this one sentence. There is a big difference between empty-handed techniques against a knife-wielding opponent, and techniques to defend against an empty-handed opponent when YOU have a knife! Knowing one does not mean you'll necessarily know the other. They are separate arts.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

If a person was faced with a situation where a physical attack was eminent, what do you think their first reaction would be? Duke it out "mano e mano", or find a weapon to get the advantage?

I would disagree with Ibouchet regarding defending against the knife and having the knife- the techniques are similar - but the applications are the variation.

If you agree with the above assertion that one's first impulse is to reach for a weapon, how will they use it? Would one avoid picking up a knife in a fight because "they don't know how to use it?" Conversely, if faced with an opponent using a knife, would you try something different other than what you know?

Thanks

B

https://www.seishinkan.com

https://www.sakura-0.com

• 2 weeks later...