• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hobbies

guitarguy

I'm a car guy. Love 2-seater sports cars, especially old ones. Right now, I have a relatively new one, a 2005 S2000. Used to live near Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills and drove the twisties just about every day. Now, I live in the 'burbs and rarely see a curve.

I'm interested in electric vehicles and have put in a lot of time planning various DIY projects. I have a short commute, so I don't need long range. I'll start with something small, like an electric bicycle. There are some great kits out on the market. Maybe I'll do a motorcycle, reverse trike, or car later. Then again, maybe manufacturers will put out something reasonably priced before I get around to that. Tax credits are available to help defray costs of approved new purchases, but they're still pretty pricey.

Also, I play a sport called wallyball. It's like volleyball played on a racquetball court where you can hit the ball off the walls (wall-y-ball). We string a net across the middle of the court and play 2 or 3 players per side. It's pretty fast paced. Wallyball is to volleyball kind of like racquetball is to tennis.

Other than that, I watch too much TV, read fiction, and play old computer games.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run track (100 and 200 meter dash), play paintball, listen to music, and hang with my friends.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

I main hobby is my family. Since that is where I spend most of my time. Second is MA which lucky for me I have my family involed in it 100%.

I enjoy the odd PS3 nights with a shooter now and agian but mostly when I need to escape a good run is better.

Now that summer is here I spend a huge amount of time camping and hiking in the Mtns. A few 3 day hikes to make sure the body still works and a few family camping weeks to make sure I can still handle more than 3-4 beer :lol:

I study for fun, mainly history, classics, physics, astronomy and philosophy with the Open University. I should get my second degree next year (BA in classical studies this time). In what little time there is left over after training and studying I like to fish, hike, paint, play guitar (badly) and write poetry.

• 2 months later...

I used to play Magic the Gathering every chance I got, and when I wasn't playing, I was just trying to build decks. Still love it; just don't have time or money for it. New sets come out to quickly.

I absolutely love to read with my free time now. Lots of novels, but I also keep up with my MA based reading. I'm hoping to build some shelving in my basement for my library.

Weight lifting has become a renewed passion for me lately, too.

I also love video games. We have a Wii, and it has been fun to play. What's great is that it has allowed me to play old NES games again, and I have downloaded most of the Mega Man games, and a few new ones.

I play the flute (pretty much every kind of flute), the electric bass, a little piano and I sing. My family is very musical, so I learned to read music about the same time as words, though I'm the least talented in that department among my siblings. :lol:

I also love to paint draw and sculpt. So in my spare time I illustrate and self-publish comic books, make posters for my karate club, draw figures for my friends' textbooks, make nerdy t-shirts and produce the occasional malaria life-cycle for the CDC. I also sometimes make flutes out of found wood.

Gardening is also nice.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be a massive RPG nerd, but I sold my 360 to buy martial arts stuff, now I hardly play any computer games unless i'm habging with my buddies.

Beyond that I'm a bit of an artist, but I don't have a lot of time for it, and i like to write poetry. I also like to ride horses, and I read a lot.

My life is pretty much split into - Doing MA, researching MA, Reading up on other subjects (anatomy, law etc.), and training my body. I also like drinking Tea, and Sake.

One of my friends once called me the White Samurai because of my lifestyle, it's a designation I'm quite pleased about.

I'm also currently preparing for a Cycling/Walking trip to Japan, so my hobbies have recently expanded to included outdoors activities, survivalism, orientiering etc.

"Really, if someone grabs you, you just punch 'em in the face and run..."

• 8 months later...

Snorkeling And Or Free Diving.

A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth. What Miss Kaoru says... ...is play-talk that only those who have never stained their hands can say. When I See That Female Again From BK. I Will Kick Her Behind For Disgracing Me And My Friends Honor.