• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much do you learn from your Sensei.

So, although I can (and do) learn much from him, I am also everyday becoming more of "myself" as a Martial Artist. I think its this way with everyone.

We adapt techniques for our personal strengths and weaknesses-we develop depth of understanding based on our own experiences and capacities, and thus the art becomes our personal "style". A good instructor should always encourage this and nurture each student in this way, a good student should remain teachable and not resist the way.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Cherry picking" is a phrase that refers to looking at a bunch of stuff, and choosing what you think suites you. Some times judoka will watch matches, and see some spectacular throw that they admire. Their Sempai may suggest simpler throw that matches their body type or level of skill, but the judoka will go with what he likes.

Many amature weight lifters love to work on their upper bodies, and swing heavier weights in the process of lifting, when a more even work out is best, and lifting lighter weights properly (without swinging) more productive.

The examples I have given are obvious, but there are many subtle things that we may say to ourselves that "we can't do", but in fact is a subconscious pick we don't even realize that we have made. Of course we invent good reasons for doing these things.

"Cherry picking" is a phrase that refers to looking at a bunch of stuff, and choosing what you think suites you. Some times judoka will watch matches, and see some spectacular throw that they admire. Their Sempai may suggest simpler throw that matches their body type or level of skill, but the judoka will go with what he likes.

Many amature weight lifters love to work on their upper bodies, and swing heavier weights in the process of lifting, when a more even work out is best, and lifting lighter weights properly (without swinging) more productive.

The examples I have given are obvious, but there are many subtle things that we may say to ourselves that "we can't do", but in fact is a subconscious pick we don't even realize that we have made. Of course we invent good reasons for doing these things.

This is a good point and its difficult for instructors because then they must remember to teach all methods, because particular students may find them better.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 5 weeks later...