• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much do you learn from your Sensei.

I have posted this elsewhere, but think it is appropriate here:

When Wado's Ohtsuka passed, he was heard to say he failed as a teacher, that he was unable to pass on his understanding. This is not uncommon. I read that a young Westerner once said to Ueshiba, that he wished to learn the Master's Aikido. Ueshiba replied that when he looked back, he did not see anyone that was following in his footsteps.

One of Ohtsuka's principle students once told me that at best, his karate was 20% that of Ohtsukas. It is my guess that my Sensei's karate was probably less. This makes sense, especially based on Ohtsuka's lament. Perhaps the problem comes from emptying our teacups. Even when we succeed in doing so, our teachers knowledge is capable of filling much more then a few teacups. Perhaps this is natural, after all Ohtsuka left Funakoshi and went on to establish Wadoryu.

I am far from mastering the art, but I have learned a few things. Little of which I was able to pass on to kohai. One example deals with practicing one step prearranged sparring; that of defending a one step attack striking jodan. The lesson is (from time to time) in place of blocking, to retreat only as necessary for the incoming strike to end less then an inch from its target. Most of the time the attacker doesn't step in far enough, or when they do, they miss on purpose. Some times they over shoot, and attack the space behind you. IMO when you can respond to all of these situations, you are on your way to understanding distance. Although I have demonstrated this many times, I have not seen any kohai attempt to do this. Maybe a stupid lesson?

Eventually, I have come to believe that our egos are greater barriers to receiving lessons then we believe. Heck, It only took me 30 years to learn the above.:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Eventually, I have come to believe that our egos are greater barriers to receiving lessons then we believe. Heck, It only took me 30 years to learn the above.:)

I think that’s the key. It took you 30yrs to really understand what your trying to teach. Even if that’s an exaggeration it still probably took you a long time. When we truly begin to understand something I think we all forget how long it took to get to that point. So when we explain whatever we are trying to teach to someone we get a little irritated when they can’t do it right away. And once they do get it, there is always the individuals interpretation of whatever is being taught. Some of the time people need to experience what is being told to them to really understand it. For me I have been doing Sanchin Kata for over 16 yrs. In that 16 yrs people have told me what Sanchin means and how to do it. But it wasn’t until recently did it finally make sense to me. And I stress “ how it made sense to me”. Sanchin means three conflicts but that’s not what the kata is about. When two things have a conflicting philosophy for example hard and soft, they both are lacking what the other has. Therefore when they work together there is harmony. When hard and soft work together you get power. Power in your strike, power in your blocks or power in your stance. Now I can explain this to students but unless they can “feel” it when they perform the kata it’s just words.

What I've learned from my Sensei was nearly everything about Shindokan from A to Z and back. I say nearly because I know for a fact that there was a lot of Shindokan to still learn from him even though I'm a Hachidan.

By his movements alone, We/I knew that all of his highest ranked students were still no match for him across the board. We were toyed with by him at best, and we could tell that if he wanted to, he'd dispatch of us without any care at all.

A student can feel that from ones Sensei, and I certainly felt it from him.

So, as far as my journey in the MA is concerned, my Sensei layed out a solid foundation for which I could effectively build upon from anything and everything that was available to me in the MA world. I could sense what was effective for me and what wasn't, this was essential to my MA growth; I'm experienced, and in that, I'm far from a wide-eyed wet-behind-the-ear MAist. I was maturing in my MA journey, and this is because of what my Sensei had birthed in me.

My Sensei, our Dai-Soke, was very fond of always reminding us of this...

"What of Shindokan don't you understand? It's mine, and not yours. Be the proponent that I'm not."

I was vexed about this statement for some time until I finally realized what he was saying to us...to me. That was...Shindokan, of what I do know is mine and not my students BECAUSE each of us Shindokanists must walk upright during our OWN journey with our heads held up proudly, and not ashamed.

I'm complete in my totality as a MAist, yet, I'm still learning everyday, and in that, even though I'm one of my Sensei's student's, I'm my own MAist across the board. I'm the extension of what Shindokan is and what Shindokan isn't.

Shindokan was his gift for me; now it was up to me to expound beyond Shindokan, to be always searching for that perfection that I'll never find because I'm a fallible human. Not because my Sensei failed by some shadow of the imagination. It's up to me to be that exclamation point at the end of his sentence...hopefully I've done it and that I'll continue to do so in his absence.

I follow him, alas, I've followed him, but, not so blindly did I follow him so that I couldn't find my MA path, and my MA path was of my own making!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So, as far as my journey in the MA is concerned, my Sensei layed out a solid foundation for which I could effectively build upon from anything and everything that was available to me in the MA world. I could sense what was effective for me and what wasn't, this was essential to my MA growth; I'm experienced, and in that, I'm far from a wide-eyed wet-behind-the-ear MAist. I was maturing in my MA journey, and this is because of what my Sensei had birthed in me.

Exactly my experiences also. I've studied under several sensei from the same system, but my origional sensei (up thru shodan) laid the groundwork and foundation to enable me to move forwward with my studies for the next 25+ years.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I learn something every day from my instructor. Even if it is some little thing in basics or something, or some reminder, or even being made to teach a Little Lions class now and then, I learn something from him.

I also learn something of my own each time I train. I am not my instructor, so I cannot be like my instructor that much; he is 6 foot 3 inches, probably 170 - 180 pounds. I'm 5' 8", 254 pounds; needless to say, our TKD will not be the same. So, although I can (and do) learn much from him, I am also everyday becoming more of "myself" as a Martial Artist. I think its this way with everyone.

I learn something every day from my instructor.........

or

What I've learned from my Sensei was nearly everything about xxx....

I don't want to start an argument about this, but I believe that there is a tendency to "cherry pick" what we learn, that is to filter out what in not within our frame of mind. IMO we attribute much of what we know to our teachers, as that is part of validating our skill.

Why else would Ueishiba say that looking back he could see no one following. Yet every Master Aikiodist that studied under him claims Ueishiba as his standard.

I don't mean to say that we don't owe our skill to our Senesi, we do, and that we are not accomplished, only that much of our skill is based on a journey of discovery, uniquely ours, unlike our teacher's.

Here is the true value of kata. A consistant form that ties us to our mutual past.

Particularly with instructors that no longer teach me, I have realised what they meant after I have left. I have continued to work on things that were emphasized to me and now I can do them. So I try to keep the lessons in my mind even when I may not be doing the same art.

Edited by Jay

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I learn something every day from my instructor.........

or

What I've learned from my Sensei was nearly everything about xxx....

I don't want to start an argument about this, but I believe that there is a tendency to "cherry pick" what we learn, that is to filter out what in not within our frame of mind. IMO we attribute much of what we know to our teachers, as that is part of validating our skill.

Why else would Ueishiba say that looking back he could see no one following. Yet every Master Aikiodist that studied under him claims Ueishiba as his standard.

I don't mean to say that we don't owe our skill to our Senesi, we do, and that we are not accomplished, only that much of our skill is based on a journey of discovery, uniquely ours, unlike our teacher's.

Here is the true value of kata. A consistant form that ties us to our mutual past.

Interesting thoughts. Could you please expound further more when you say CHERRY PICK.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!