• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the original animals of Kung Fu?

I know next to nothing about Kung Fu. I do know a lot of it is based on animals. Tiger, Monkey, Cobra, etc. What were the first ones?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

[color=red][/color] Well in my system of Shaolin kung-fu our animal system contains of:

[color=blue][/color]Dragon

Tiger

Snake

Crane

Mantis

[color=red][/color]Elements are:

[color=blue][/color]Metal

Water

Wood

Fire

Earth

[color=red][/color]I can't tell you what the first animals that were used in earlier kung fu systems. I hope this helps.........

Intresting.

Each animal stands for a differnat strength correct.

Such as the Dragon is wisdom

Tiger power?

Snake stealth ?

Cran balance ?

Mantis Speed?

Thats just a guess LOL.

What about the elements? What do they stand for and how do they interact with the animals?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

What about other animals you hear about.

Monkey?

Cobra? or is that a type of snake or the same?

White Cran? differant type of Crane or same?

Eagle?

I really don't know much about Kung Fu so any info is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
I was always under the impression that when Bodihirma (sp?) began the development of the martial arts (I believe shoalin kung fu altough I may be wrong) The animals whose movements he followed were... Tiger, Crane, Monkey, Leaopard and snake. And of coarse other styles developed from the adding of new animals, but I am pretty sure those were the oringinal five :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Intresting.

I would consider a Tiger and Leaopard basically the same thing. I mean big cats. The others are much differant. So Praying Mantis or Dragon was not one of the 5.

infact tigers and leopards have considerably different movements... for instance have you ever heard of a tiger climbing a tree? And yes I believe the dragon and praying mantis were not included at first :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Tiger and Leopard are two distinctly different styles with the Tiger focusing on strength and crushing blows going through the opponent and the Leopard using agility and multiple strikes. There is a lot more to it than just this generalization.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Yes Im sure. I find the use of animals in Kung Fu intresting. Please take some time and go into one animal or more if you can.