• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BOB Human Torso Training Dummy

RJCKarate

If you don't know what a BOB is, see this link: http://www.womensportreport.com/products_the-century-bob-torso-punch-bag_128

I purposely put this in the Karate section, as I am more interested in Karate practitioners responses, but I do also welcome any other martial art to comment.

I am considering purchasing a BOB for our dojo, we already have a makiwara & bag, but I feel the BOB might add another good aspect to our training for things like self defence, and simple placing of strikes.

I would like to know if any of you have used the BOB before, what are your opinions, pros & cons and if you would recommend one.

Cheers!

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For working target placement it works fine, but it is nothing like hitting a human body OR a heavy bag--it doesn't move like a human body, despite being shaped like one, and the "skin" on it tends to stick to your skin when you punch it, which gets pretty uncomfortable. Also, the body is much firmer than a human body and the head moves around quite a bit but isn't as hard as a human head.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It's a life sized dummy you kick the hell out of called Bob. what are you waiting for! lol no seriously I've used it once and it was ok but for actual advice on it refer to the people of above me.

Its ok but a Heavy bag is much better as you can practice LOW kicks on a heavy bag

I think they're ok if you can't get a training partner but save you're money and get a heavy Bag

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'd certainly own a heavy bag first. And mitts.

After that, I do think they are handy. For instance, target areas are clearly defined and this aids not only in precision work, but mental conditioning as well. It's much more vivid to stick BOB in the eye than simulate on anything.

The limitations have been well outlined above, but part of the problem is people trying to use it exactly like you would a heavy bag when it's an entirely different training modality.

It comes into it's own working multiple strikes to precision area. So, rather than condition power work on it, your working a brachial stun to eye gouge to folding elbow to the neck. Multiple, precision strikes to areas easily damaged on the human body and difficult to mimic otherwise.

Further, it's a major advantage to drilling stick work at speed and knife work around the face. Again, you get to work against live anatomy without constantly pounding on a partner.

Just some other thoughts. I'd always have partner, bag, BOB, in that order. But it can be a useful addition to a gym if you have the resources or opportunity.

I have used one but I was very "meh" about it. I decided not to buy one for myself but I liked the idea of having an opponent-shaped focus so I got a couple of old white t-shirts, cut them off at the armpits to make two tubes which someone more skilled than I sewed together. This was then slid over my full length heavy bag and a belt (black naturally) gi and face were drawn on. The sleeve slides up and down so that the belt height can be set at the belt height of the user and it cost absolutely nothing over the cost of a bog standard heavy bag.

I like it.

The thing to be said for the 3 dimensional BOB over drawn on faces it the step towards realism it takes in the way of a target. It's important for mental conditioning. I know, sounds like garbage but research bears it out.

Look at the research Grossman and others site in regards to the firing rates of soldiers in Vietnam after the advent of human shaped, photo-realistic targets. Way up over the bulls-eye targets used prior.

Now, I'll grant you, I'm extrapolating here to the unarmed realm. I think the Force Science Institute is doing something along these lines now, so we'll know more at some point I hope.

I purchased mine for $100 off of craigslist. I like it because it does allow for more realistic training. There's something about hitting something that looks human that gives me more gratification.

The cons are it's not intented to be used to build power strikes. Durabilty probably comes into play over long use. On a smooth surface, it will slide even if loaded with weights.

On the other hand, I was able to put a Judo gi on it, which did allow me to practice some Judo entries and strangulation techniques. In addition, it has a nice feel when I was practing standup grappling and striking at the same time. And it allowed some things that can't be done on a heavy bag such as uppercuts to a chin while holding the head down.

Worth my $100.