• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Increase of knife attacks locally, which defense tool?

I agree with TG and LP that a if a firearm is not an option, a ranged hand to hand weapon such as a club may be your best option. Know the laws in your area, in certain places an expandable asp(baton) is considered a concealed weapon. If this is an option, train with it diligently.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tallgeese

I dont totally dissagree. I agree, that technically a knife is a great equalizer. AND I agree, that if a knife is pulled and there is time, I'd be reeeeeally happy to have brought my knife along.

the problem with this is, there usually isnt time. I think the ideal weapon for someone who is out to do more than scare you, should already be in your hand.

Most attackers only want to scare you out of yoru money, or car etc.... I'd be happy to oblidge, and get the F out of dodge.

If they are out to kill you, 9 times out of ten, you wont see it coming, and will have your hands full before you can grab your blade.

Like I mentioned, I dont dissagree under the right circumstances, but it would be fairly rare. IMO.

Ryan

tallgeese

I dont totally dissagree. I agree, that technically a knife is a great equalizer. AND I agree, that if a knife is pulled and there is time, I'd be reeeeeally happy to have brought my knife along.

the problem with this is, there usually isnt time. I think the ideal weapon for someone who is out to do more than scare you, should already be in your hand.

Most attackers only want to scare you out of yoru money, or car etc.... I'd be happy to oblidge, and get the F out of dodge.

If they are out to kill you, 9 times out of ten, you wont see it coming, and will have your hands full before you can grab your blade.

Like I mentioned, I dont dissagree under the right circumstances, but it would be fairly rare. IMO.

Ryan

So once again, the best self defense tool is our own awareness. Human beings are easily distracted individuals, who could blame us, we have all kinds of crap in our lives that takes our attention away from more important things. Go to walmart sometime and think like a criminal would think. Who would be the easiest people to attack: Those preoccupied with there cell phones, ipods, video games etc. Scare yourself sometimes, while walking to your car at the grocery store, be aware of the cars parked around yours, the corners of the buildings, heck, even your own backseat. This may be viewed by some as paranoia, but it never hurts to run scenarios through your head so that your nervous system will not be totally shocked should you run into trouble.

Tallgeese,

I dont completely dissagree with your dissagreement. lol.

If I was backed into a corner, and had time to draw a knife, I'd sure be happy to have it.

The problem is, according to statistics, there's rarely time to draw a knife, and the victim usually doesnt know there has been a knife involved until after the attack.

If Ive got time to draw a blade, the situation could probably be de-escalated.

Tallgeese,

It's easier to de-escalate when your attacker is afraid of you. I would argue that you are scarier with a blade using cover than without. But you do need to be good enough at unarmed defense to get the chance.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I don't disagree with you eiter, rd. I'm well aware of the nature of most ambush knife tactics. However, since we've go so far into worse case scenarios, I'll always want a weapon on hand to to ATTEMPT to esclate to.

Tallgeese,

It's easier to de-escalate when your attacker is afraid of you. I would argue that you are scarier with a blade using cover than without. But you do need to be good enough at unarmed defense to get the chance.

I'm reminded of the scene from the movie "Crocodile Dundee" where he's accosted by a street punk that pulls a 4 inch blade on Dundee and when Dundee doesn't back down or show fear the punk says "Don't you see I have a knife man?"...or something to that effect.

To which Dundee says "Knife? You call that a knife?" Then he reaches behind him and pulls a much larger knife of his own out and says "Now THAT'S a knife!"..to which the punk and friends take off running.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

LP, on the Mag Lite note, I've always wanted to spot weld at tow hitch to the butt end of a D Cell Mag Lite. Can you image the blind them followed by the Hulk Smash end whipping in tactic?

I looked into having it built but a welder buddy of mine said the material at the end of the Mag wouldn't hold up to the process of making a tow hitch stay in place.

Well, I'll keep looking.

I'm officially looking for a solution to this problem.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

How about a hairbrush :brow: http://www.coldsteel.com/honeycomb.html

Personally I'd go with the mag-lite option, I agree with you guys saying a knife is a great equalizer.. just personally I don't feel comfortable using one and would probably stab myself or drop it on my foot. :roll: I do carry a small mag-lite around which has a super bright LED (useful for shining in people's eyes too).

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

A lot of great ideas thus far, but, with each of those great ideas comes a price...A LOT OF PRACTICE!! Without it, you're still not going to be able to defend yourself against a knife adequately enough, if at all, imho.

Having something is better than nothing, but without practice, it's still nothing.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!