• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin round kick and shin block history question

moriniuk

OSU, I don't think I have seen Garyu kata yet...

In our dojo, we still chamber the low mawashi geris, and turn the hip over to drive our weight DOWN into the thigh. Hurts.

OSU

Its a great kata - quite difficult to perform for the most part.

That is exactly the way we practice Gedan Mawashi Geri, and the way I have seen it practiced at every Kyokushin dojo I have ever attended.

OSU.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Dobbersky, talk to Gary (GJEC) who I know you know and a few others...The gedan mawashi geri definitely came from the Muay Thai interaction. I asked about this, and I forgot the exact year, but Gary and a few other "old timers" I have talked to have confirmed there was no gedan mawashi geri in Kyokushin at first.

The Brazilian kick, I'm not sure if that came from Muay Thai since the way the "crocodile tail whip kick" in MT is done a bit differently...I think TKD might have influenced both. I guess we could ask Shihan Isobe or perhaps Shihan Ademir de Costa who was first known to use it...than Filho and Feitosa...unfortunately I don't have any of them on speed dial. The last time I saw Filho or Feitosa in person was in '98, too...can't seem to find my flux capacitor :(.

I highly agree that Kyokushin is a style that will always evolve. It's being tested by tuornaments, and new strategies and techniques will be tried out, used, some discarded (domawashi kaiten geri repeatedly I hope!), and some a staple (gedan mawashi geri!).

If it works, use it! If it doesn't, don't! Don't try to find all the answers you seek in kata unless you have a time machine to ask who invented the kata.

I think the Brazilian kick, much like the axe kick and some of the spinning kicks, came from a TKD influence somewhere along the line.

I do too, when I look at Muay Thai pioneers in the UK like Master Toddy, Master A, and Master Sken who also had TKD backgrounds. They combined many TKD techniques with MT.

A similar kick to the Muay Thai "crocodile tail's whip kick" or Kyokushin "Brazilian kick" is done in TKD.

Watching the IKO 2 WT last weekend during the demos reminded me of a TKD tournament Demo at times even LOL!

I'm a little confused with the terminology of some of these kicks.

From what I'm reading above, people seem to be suggesting that the 'crocodile kick' and the Brazilian kick' are the same.

My understanding is that the Muay Thai 'crocodile kick' or jorakay fad hang (crocodile thrashes its tail) is a backwards spinning kick and the 'Brazilian kick' is a high level downwards round kick. This is also known as naka kanod hang (serpent coiles its tail).

So both very much original Muay Thai kicking techniques without the need for any TKD influences.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a little confused with the terminology of some of these kicks.

From what I'm reading above, people seem to be suggesting that the 'crocodile kick' and the Brazilian kick' are the same.

My understanding is that the Muay Thai 'crocodile kick' or jorakay fad hang (crocodile thrashes its tail) is a backwards spinning kick and the 'Brazilian kick' is a high level downwards round kick. This is also known as naka kanod hang (serpent coiles its tail).

So both very much original Muay Thai kicking techniques without the need for any TKD influences.

Cop cunb cup!

You're right, I mixed up the terminology, now I forgot what I called the "Brazilian kick" in Muay Thai, but it's done a bit differently.

Hopefully you can remember because I don't feel like digging through some old syllabus from the 90s....

Cop cunb cup!

You're right, I mixed up the terminology, now I forgot what I called the "Brazilian kick" in Muay Thai, but it's done a bit differently.

Hopefully you can remember because I don't feel like digging through some old syllabus from the 90s....

Mai pen arai krap!

That's not the name of the kick by the way.