• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WTF Olymic TKD sparring questions

If I understand how the electronic scorers work, they require a certain amount of pressure applied to get the point. Whether a punch could do it or not would be interesting to see.

I don't like the hands down, either, and although we spar WTF rules, we rarely let our guard hang down like that. I always try to keep my hands up.

I notice when they kick, WTF stylists will use their arms to create momentum, like runners do, especially with their fast round kicks. I think that tends to lead to the hands down as well.

I think they don't score punches much because they don't want their tourneys to end up like Karate tourneys. They want to emphasize the kicking in every aspect; attacking, countering, etc. Footwork becomes a huge part of it, too. Its not all good, but it isn't all bad, either.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brian, do you wear the hogus? I always wondered whether they made it more difficult/uncomfortable to have hands up?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Brian, do you wear the hogus? I always wondered whether they made it more difficult/uncomfortable to have hands up?
Yes, I do. And I hate it. It affects the way I move all the time. It messes with my kicking, especially my spin kicks. It also affects how I hold my arms up. The bulkyness tends to cause my elbows to flare out more, and this can mess with my blocking.

I think it also puts me at a disadvantage, because I like to punch, and when I punch while someone is wearing one, they don't really care.

I don't mind the WTF rules the way they are layed out. I do have a problem with the way they are enforced. I'm not incredibly fast, nor have incredible timing, so I'm not a counter fighter at all. I block a lot, so I can get inside and work people over. This is within the rules, which is great, but, punches don't get scored, and no one ever blocks, so when you get close, you just get seperated.

I love to spar in class without gear. People respect my punches a lot more, and I do better with kicks. Did I mention that I hate hogus? ;)

Yes, I do. And I hate it. It affects the way I move all the time. It messes with my kicking, especially my spin kicks. It also affects how I hold my arms up. The bulkyness tends to cause my elbows to flare out more, and this can mess with my blocking.

Can imagine. Never worn one but I hate even wearing female chest protectors as it compromises my blocking and punching.

I think it also puts me at a disadvantage, because I like to punch, and when I punch while someone is wearing one, they don't really care.

I don't mind the WTF rules the way they are layed out. I do have a problem with the way they are enforced. I'm not incredibly fast, nor have incredible timing, so I'm not a counter fighter at all. I block a lot, so I can get inside and work people over. This is within the rules, which is great, but, punches don't get scored, and no one ever blocks, so when you get close, you just get seperated.

Sucks. :( Think both styles' (WTF & ITF) ruleset tend to put the heavier guys at a disadvantage. Just little things like this and stuff like headshot kicks, spinning kicks scoring more doesn't really fit in with the heavier fighters.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 6 months later...

I practice Taekwondo, although I come from an organization that is strictly noncompetitive. Still, I have some possible answers.

The hands down is probably or two reasons. First, since sparring is on a point system, fighters will throw a lot of very fast, weak kicks. This, combined with the protection offered by the hogu, means getting kicked in the body has no consequence other than your opponent scoring a point. Because of this, most fighters focus more on trying to score as many points as possible instead of trying to prevent their opponent from scoring. Second, it is easier to throw a quick combination of kicks with hands down to balance than with them held up to guard.

I'm not a fan of the WTF rules, or sport martial art in general. They lead to sloppy technique, a lack of practical skill, and pursuing trophies instead of self-improvement.

"I have mastered the greatest technique of all: Being much bigger than my opponent."

"The hammer fist solves EVERYTHING!"

I teach both Olympic Style and Point Style sparring at my school...kicking with the hands down is just not acceptable regardless of which style!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 3 weeks later...

You'd have to judge your distance, but if you're at a comfortable distance from your opponent, I can see keeping your guard on your chest instead of your head. The rules specifically state that techniques delivered need to be pretty solid. You're more likely to land a successful headshot as the last move in a combo, rather than leading technique. I can easily avoid an opening headshot by simply stepping out of the way, which is why I think a lot of people keep their hands down when they are sparring with Olympic-style rules.

Punches are also easy to avoid as opening techniques, and are usually only "solid" as the later part of a combo (after you're able to get in closer). I can deliver a solid kick much easier than a solid punch, especially at a distance.

Does that make sense?

Nick Zorn

4th Degree Black Belt

Owner, West of the Moon ATA

https://www.myataschool.com

• 3 months later...
I'm not a Taekwondo stylist although I have dabbled in it a few years ago.

I mean no disrespect from the following questions, I'm just curious.

I went to watch the British Nationals Championships in Manchester, UK today.

The players were wearing the electronic vests.

Can somebody explain any of the following:

* Why, when high scoring kicks are allowed to the head are the arms almost always held down by the sides and not in any sort of guard position?

* Why, when punches to the body score, are they very rarely used.

* Why does there appear to be almost no attempt made to defend against any incoming techniques other than body evasions. The emphasis appears to be to just keep attacking and hope that you score more points than your opponent in the process.

Thanks.

I can answer your middle question as it is similar to ITF Tae Kwon-Do: it is because kicks (and maybe head punches) score more points than body punches do and judges can score head kicks and punches easier whereas it is a risk with body punches as the judges may not see the punch and not score it - which is frustrating :kaioken:

OSS! Shimizu Yuuhiro Shodan Shukokai Karate-Do

Yoon Kwan Ilgop Kup ITF Tae Kwon-Do