• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching the bag without gloves or wraps...?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After years of makiwara training, I don't find gloves are needed for most heavy bags. That said, some are very dense and you could hurt yourself without gloves.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

The handwraps are used to give your knuckles and wrist support. You don't normally punch something over and over, so this would be considered abnormal behavior. Since the body isn't equipped for this movement and repeated punishment it is recommended that you use handwraps. Yes, you aren't going to have your handwraps in the street with you if you get in a fight but you also don't punch that guy over and over and over and over 4 days a week...

In short I favor handwraps.

Troy Macraft - Karate Uniforms

The handwraps are used to give your knuckles and wrist support. You don't normally punch something over and over, so this would be considered abnormal behavior. Since the body isn't equipped for this movement and repeated punishment it is recommended that you use handwraps. Yes, you aren't going to have your handwraps in the street with you if you get in a fight but you also don't punch that guy over and over and over and over 4 days a week...

In short I favor handwraps.

I agree, thacker, and most times, if you strike to the head with your hands, you should try to do so with open-hand techniques, as opposed to the fist, unless you are really good at it.

i wont have gloves when im defending myself so i dont use gloves when i train

You likely won't have a cup on for groin protection either. Or be wearing a loose fitting gi to move in. I don't think training without gloves is a bad thing necessarily, but I do think you should protect your body as much as possible in training so that you can keep training for long periods of time.

I haven't used gloves in the few sessions I had with the bag and I surely don't use them for pushups. Still, I didn't put my hands though a lot of abuse, since I am using them on a daily basis as a web designer. So having my fingers messed up doesn't really go well with having to design stuff. If I was to be more serious with the bag, then some gloves wouldn't hurt.