• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Becoming a Black Belt, what does it mean to you?

In post war Japan, it still remained that regardless of its functional value, sincerity of ones beliefs often counted for more then what was in step with reality.

Even today, in fields such as Theoretical Physics, this is often the case.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's bring up one more thing as well, just to play devil's advocate, most of us who routinely whip out the "it's not about the belt" line have usually already earned a black belt in something. It's usually much easier to say, and mean, this after getting there.

tallgeese wrote:

Let's bring up one more thing as well, just to play devil's advocate, most of us who routinely whip out the "it's not about the belt" line have usually already earned a black belt in something. It's usually much easier to say, and mean, this after getting there.

Absolutely, and I can speak to this with authority. I have been meaning to address this question, but wanted to wait until I had the time to give it some thought.

Here are some of the things that black belt means to me. First and foremost, just being honest, it is vindication. I had already earned shodan in the same style, same system, same school, more than 20 years ago. When I came back 5+ years ago, I was told that I would have to start again from white, since I had been gone so long, and also because some things had changed. This seemed quite reasonable to me, though at the time I assumed (big mistake) that it might take me a couple of years at most to re-earn my black belt. I used to train fanatically, muscle memory is strong, and things came back to me quickly. Now I am glad that I did not know that it would take me a minimum of 6 years to get back the same rank I'd had before!

Why is the rank important? On some level, it is not important at all! I am so happy to have rediscovered karate, and I love training. However, let's not kid ourselves. Every night it's "line up by rank", and I have had to work through some anger and frustration at times. Now that I am up to 1st kyu, and 1st kyu in kobudo as well (we have to get to shodan in kobudo before we can get shodan-ho in karate do, which was not a requirement in the old days), I am at the best place possible. Why do I say this? Because I remember in the past that the most fun I ever had in karate was in training for black belt! I love my school, but it is so extreme how long it takes to get to black belt! My peers who will also be testing this year, who are quite a bit younger, have been training between 8 and 12 years already! I mean training hard and regularly, with some minor gaps due to school and work requirements. To me, this shows an amazing level of committment!

For me there is just one little fly in the ointment, though. Earlier this year I had to undergo two hip replacement surgeries. Recovery is going very well, and I think I am still on track for shodan-ho testing next March. Things are not as great as I would like, though Dr's and PT's tell me my recovery has been remarkable. Patience has never been one of my stronger virtues, but obviously this is a great chance for me to work on that. At any rate, I am optimistic that by fall I will be ready to crank it up and train as hard as will be expected. I am confident that with more time and healing and training I will be much better, in terms of flexibility and ROM, than I was before the surgery.

Sorry about the long winded approach to getting to the point. Quite simply, the reason I want to have my black belt credential is that I would like to stay involved in the world of karate for some time to come, and at my age, I feel that my main contribution will be in teaching and passing on knowledge to future generations. You youn'uns might laugh and mock about an "older person" being able to be effective, but you shouldn't. I have seen some very impressive 70+ year olds performing, and I'm not nearly to that point. As many have said, there are many reasons to train, and it's not just about being able to beat people down. In my opinion, being knowledgeable and able to transmit a style to others, even if not able to demonstrate flashy kicks to the head too well (how about calling up a teenager to show it when you are in front of the class teaching!) is a legitimate reason to award bb, assuming, of course the person also has respectable skills at what they can do. At any rate... I intend to train as hard as I can for as long as I can, but I need to get at least to shodan so that I can ref in tournaments and teach independently. That's what black belt means to me!

Solid post Alex...SOLID!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

tallgeese wrote:

Absolutely, and I can speak to this with authority. I have been meaning to address this question, but wanted to wait until I had the time to give it some thought.

Here are some of the things that black belt means to me. First and foremost, just being honest, it is vindication. I had already earned shodan in the same style, same system, same school, more than 20 years ago. When I came back 5+ years ago, I was told that I would have to start again from white, since I had been gone so long, and also because some things had changed. This seemed quite reasonable to me, though at the time I assumed (big mistake) that it might take me a couple of years at most to re-earn my black belt. I used to train fanatically, muscle memory is strong, and things came back to me quickly. Now I am glad that I did not know that it would take me a minimum of 6 years to get back the same rank I'd had before!

Why is the rank important? On some level, it is not important at all! I am so happy to have rediscovered karate, and I love training. However, let's not kid ourselves. Every night it's "line up by rank", and I have had to work through some anger and frustration at times. Now that I am up to 1st kyu, and 1st kyu in kobudo as well (we have to get to shodan in kobudo before we can get shodan-ho in karate do, which was not a requirement in the old days), I am at the best place possible. Why do I say this? Because I remember in the past that the most fun I ever had in karate was in training for black belt! I love my school, but it is so extreme how long it takes to get to black belt! My peers who will also be testing this year, who are quite a bit younger, have been training between 8 and 12 years already! I mean training hard and regularly, with some minor gaps due to school and work requirements. To me, this shows an amazing level of committment!

For me there is just one little fly in the ointment, though. Earlier this year I had to undergo two hip replacement surgeries. Recovery is going very well, and I think I am still on track for shodan-ho testing next March. Things are not as great as I would like, though Dr's and PT's tell me my recovery has been remarkable. Patience has never been one of my stronger virtues, but obviously this is a great chance for me to work on that. At any rate, I am optimistic that by fall I will be ready to crank it up and train as hard as will be expected. I am confident that with more time and healing and training I will be much better, in terms of flexibility and ROM, than I was before the surgery.

Sorry about the long winded approach to getting to the point. Quite simply, the reason I want to have my black belt credential is that I would like to stay involved in the world of karate for some time to come, and at my age, I feel that my main contribution will be in teaching and passing on knowledge to future generations. You youn'uns might laugh and mock about an "older person" being able to be effective, but you shouldn't. I have seen some very impressive 70+ year olds performing, and I'm not nearly to that point. As many have said, there are many reasons to train, and it's not just about being able to beat people down. In my opinion, being knowledgeable and able to transmit a style to others, even if not able to demonstrate flashy kicks to the head too well (how about calling up a teenager to show it when you are in front of the class teaching!) is a legitimate reason to award bb, assuming, of course the person also has respectable skills at what they can do. At any rate... I intend to train as hard as I can for as long as I can, but I need to get at least to shodan so that I can ref in tournaments and teach independently. That's what black belt means to me!

A very solid post and I thank you for it!!

For those who are in a martial art that utilizes a belt to indicate rank, and say that the BB means nothing. I would like you to try something...walk up to your sensei...walk up to any high Dan ranks in your style...walk up to the Head of your style...walk up to a kid who's trying very hard each and everyday as a white belt...then say to that person..."Rank means nothing to me...Black belt means nothing to me!!"

............ Now I am glad that I did not know that it would take me a minimum of 6 years to get back the same rank I'd had before!...............

It doesn't help when they rush your promotion. As long as you are "on the mat", you have to show that you are up to the grade. When I returned after a long absence, my shodan was reinstated in less then a year. Except for the kids, it was a bunch of time before I felt up to my grade. Even thereafter, each promotion made me feel that I was behind the 8 ball, forcing me to work harder. Eventually there came a point that I felt my skill was matched to my grade, but that was long after, and at a point in time when my grade (the one I, ha, ha, already had.) didn't matter to me.

Edited by honoluludesktop

If we could choose to wear a grey belt through all grades from the lowest kyu grade to the highest dan I wonder how many would choose to do so? I'll bet the only takers would be a few low to middle grades!

The phrase "its not about the belt" is usually taken out of context. It is something to say to the middle kyu grades who are only learning just enough to pass the grade rather than putting some effort into learning the spirit of the art. It is something to counter the arrogance that comes from getting that new strip of coloured cloth to keep it as an indicator of general ability rather than the sole focus of training.

I know that in many McDojos the belt system is merely an incentive scheme to keep the customers happy and this is probably where the disrespect has crept in. However, I also know of schools where the black belts train hard and you disrespect them in a match at your peril. In the end if you are at a good club/school and you still don't respect what a black belt means then that says more about you than it does about them. Its fun to be hip and trendy, regurgitating all the magazine articles about how belts don't matter but in the end when you get there you know how much effort it has taken.

Dont have a black belt in any of the systems I have learnt, still just wear my white belt!!