• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Becoming a Black Belt, what does it mean to you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black belt is really only important to people that want to achieve it, its a yard stick that motivates them.

Funny thing about this is that I've not YET meet a new student that didn't want a black belt one time or another. Whether they learn later that the belt isn't important or not, that very thought [wanting a black belt] has ran through their mind more than once!!

I started when I was 7 years old, and I know for a fact that I thought about wanting a black belt; I even drooled many, many times.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Black belt is really only important to people that want to achieve it, its a yard stick that motivates them.

Funny thing about this is that I've not YET meet a new student that didn't want a black belt one time or another. Whether they learn later that the belt isn't important or not, that very thought [wanting a black belt] has ran through their mind more than once!!

I started when I was 7 years old, and I know for a fact that I thought about wanting a black belt; I even drooled many, many times.

I'm sort of the devil's advocate here, I think. Perhaps the exception to the rule.

I've been doing martial arts for the past 10 years. Most of it has been in muay thai and submission grappling(not bjj). In all the time I was training those I tested 1 time because I happened to be there on a test night.

Recently, however, i've come to want my black belt for a number of reasons. First, i've never had one. I would like to be able to say that I was dedicated enough to get it.

Secondly, I would like to teach. Obviously I can teach without it, but if I ever want to teach in an actual school, my students will expect to be able to achieve rank in it. I can't do that unless i'm ranked myself.

Lastly, it is a personal goal that i've set for myself. It is a goal that I would like to complete for the sake of completing it.

Just to give some perspective from the other side.

-James Cavin-

Haha! Personally, I was most partial to my orange belt... Yes, I was very sad when I had to wear a different one a few months later. Of course, if you knew me you'd understand my obsession with the color (it's a long story).

But when I began, I really wasn't in it for any belt. I didn't even understand the order of belts for a while to tell you the truth. I just wanted to find out if I could become a strong person. I wanted to see how far I could go with nothing but guts, void of any talent or physical predisposition whatsoever. Haha!

Soon after, I fell in love.

Testing was just another training challenge in my mind after that. To tell you the truth, my black belt brought me more worry than anything else. When I saw so many great giant men who could float and glide like the wind itself, then crash down on the opponent with what seemed like the weight of the universe to me, I felt very unworthy.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

When I got my first brown belt it was a very, very dark brown, so dark in fact, that it appeared black under artificial lighting. I was awarded the belt in late november and it was the first daylight session in April when someone noticed that I was "only" a mere brown belt. I think that was when I realised that people have certain expectations which come from the mystique surrounding the black belt which can completely override what they see with their own eyes. Not that I was far off shodan standard, apart from being a bit ropey at Chinto, but that little roughness that remained to be polished was overlooked on account of the colour of my belt.

Nowadays I'm quite excited at being a white belt again and looking forward to enjoying the journey rather than wishing I were further along the path.

Ok...so far, kata and black belts are the most disrespected by the masses. I don't know why, but they are. Seems to me that no matter what I do, I'll not have gained any respect across the board because I have a black belt and I believe in kata!

What's one to do?!?

Just be yourself, sensei8, lots of us believe in those things! :wink: I know you were being tongue in cheek. At least I think you were.

Yes...I was just being tongue in cheek.

It's all good!!