• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Becoming a Black Belt, what does it mean to you?

From another thread/response from Matakiant, made me think that I need to put this out to the rest of you and I briefly put my thoughts on the subject below so that others get the chance to respond plus give me the chance to add and respond to replies etc.

Matakiant wrote:

And if you think full contact should begin at third brown how long is the average transition from that to black belt in your style.

In my school the average transition from 3rd Brown Belt (3rd Red Belt) to Black Belt, well the Minimum is 12 months from the previous grading but it is on invitation, I feel that it should be a minimum of 2 years and that the transition is a mental not physical one as the train of thought for a Mudansha (Non Blackbelts) compared to a Yudansha (Black Belts) is completely different. You never need to tell a Yudansha you need to do this or that etc whereas a Mudansha needs direction/instruction all the time.

What are other Martial Artists thoughts on what they did or how they feel about their students and what is the minimum and average transition time they have for them to prepare for Black Belt?

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

I know some schools Grade their students to BB in 3 years or so and some will take 8-9 years from White Belt.

I am purely specifying the transition from 1st Kyu/Gup (Brown or Red Belt) to 1st Dan (Black Belt / Midnight Blue) Should the timescale be less than 12 months around 12 months, upto 2 years or longer?

Thanks

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I have been practicing in our system for 3.5 years, currently i am 2nd kyu rank. I train 3-5 days a week. My progression through the system may have been accelerated by my number of days training a week. From where i am now, it will be atleast 2-4 more years before i even would feel comfortable testing for BB.

How long does it take to earn a black belt? Who really knows. It's a mystery; one that's not easy to solve...like...How many hairs are on your head? I've no idea how long it takes on an average to earn a BB because each of us are different.

Instead of me preoccupying my time in trying to come up with a solid smart answer to this million dollar question, I'll just say...

It takes as long as it takes, no sooner and no later.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Our school takes about 2 and a half years of consistent training, not missing any testings, to get to black belt level. Then time spaces out more between each black belt testing.

Knowledge of technique, and how to relate that knowledge, come into play. Proper technique is important, as the black belt is an example for the others.

I kind of agree moriniuk, besides the age limit at my school, I believe when your sensei feels that you show the technique because it has been drilled into your head by repetition and time that maybe even only 6 months will be good enough. I mean as long as you can perform all of the kata and kumite at what looks and is a BB level and when you spar or do anything off that manner with the technique that was taught to you since your first lesson then... well you should be a BB. I wasn't able to test for my BB until I was 15 so I had 9 years of training so I don't know how it is to join and be able to test in 3 or 4 years, but that's my opinion. In my school from when you first receive your brown belt I believe it does take people about 1 year until they can test with the whole process from white taking about 3.5-4.5 years depending on how often you train. :karate:

I believe that it depends on the person and style. Black belt is something that I have found doesn't mean as much to me as it used to. It took me just shy of 5 years at my TKD school to get my BB, and then I had to stop training to go back to college. I came back after 3 years off and completion of college, and now there are people getting their black belts in 2-3 years and the color belt curriculum seems more watered down than it used to. The amount of knowledge required for BB testing is still quite a feat to master, but I think that it's easier than it used to be, which bothers me a bit. I just go and train and try to do the best that I know I can do, and there's a handful of long time students that do the same along side me. It's causing (at least in the adult class) the standard to be raised back up which is needed. TKD has a bad enough rep already without the good schools like mine starting to drop their standards.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in practicing martial arts of any style a BB should not be your goal. Your goal should be to try and be the best you can be. There's too many McDojo belt factories out there that give out BB's too easily, and reduce the meaning of what BB is.

To me a black belt symbolizes that you've mastered the basics, and can now begin to refine the art form to fit you and to be used in what you are training for. You should have a strong base knowledge in all of the basic techniques of your system and be able to demonstrate them on command and help out the lower ranking students in your school. At that level you should be willing to help distribute the knowledge you've gained and give pointers to those striving to get there still. You are not a master at BB level, but you should be very proficient.

Sorry for the long rambling post, but this is a hot subject, that me and the other senior students at my school have been discussing a lot lately. I'll be quiet now.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

A student should receive their black belt when they have earned it. No other time frame makes sense. This discussion reminds me of a japanese story:

A man travelled to Japan to become the greatest swordsman in the land. He sought to train with a great master. Upon his arrival he asked the master “How long will I have to train with you to become one of the greatest swordsman in the land?” The master considered this for a moment, and answered “Ten years”. The student then asked “If I train twice as hard as all your other pupils, how long will I have to train?” The master again considered this and replied “Twenty years”. The student, rather taken back by this, then asked “If I train all day and all night, stopping only to eat and sleep… How long will I have to train?” The master replied “Thirty years”. The student, now frustrated with the master, retorted “Why is it every time I say I’ll train harder, you tell me it will take even longer?” The master again considered this and answered “Because while you have both eyes firmly fixed on where you want to be, you are not looking where you are going.”

I remember this story too, its an excellent analogy of what the question is about, one is ready when one is ready, not before, if one is ready 6 months after 1st Kyu/Gup or 3 years after. I feel that black belt is more about mental attitude although some perfection in techniques is required.

Now with regards to this story moving it on to Dan Grades, should one wait for 2 years fro 1st to 2nd and 3 years from 2nd to 3rd etc or should it be when one is ready?