• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The art outside of combat

Some time ago a friend of mine handed me a video of some basic taichi. I watched that video several times a week and learned to throughly copy the routine and movements. (the movements as best I could of course)

One day I was walking home from school and stepped on a patch of ice. As I was slipping I snapped into a position that I had learned from the video.

Spread feet. One hand on the ground infront of you, one hand up in the air above you.

I went home happy that I didn't fall on my face, and that something I learned came in handy in an everyday situation.

:)

so, any simular stories?

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All movements in every style are somehow made so that they are natural. With enough repetition, they become kind of like a reflex. I've heard falls to be really useful when falling from stairs or something. :)

"People study from boredom. They fall in love, get married and reproduce from boredom. And finally die from boredom." -Georg Buchner

I think half of learning any martial art is learning muscle memory for the stances and techniques. Whether in combat, training or like you did falling on ice you know you've mastered a technique when you don't have to think about how to do it - to quote a great man "there is no try, only do"

Yes. Breakfalls have been very useful over the years. A couple of times, rolling has been helpful too. Once over the handlebars of a dumped motorcycle, another after tripping over a root on a trail run. Each time probibily saved me from some impact damage.

Aside from that, the agility and coordiation is probably an intangable trait that has come into play a lot.

Breakfalls are probably the obvious one, as well as improved balance in general. The other thing I've noticed from my TKD training is improved control over your feet/legs in general. So I instinctively use my feet to pull out a chair or other stuff like that..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When you look at the obvious things like break falls and balance you forget the not so obvious things like how we approach life in general. Do you give up on a problem easily? Our personal drive to better ourselves and respect those around us sometimes gets over looked. It is these things I try to notice and keep in check outside of the art. When you take up a martial art you immerse yourself into a culture(s) that hold respect in the highest regard. Respect for yourself and for others.

Aside from that, the agility and coordiation is probably an intangable trait that has come into play a lot.

I agree here. This can come from just about any kind of atheltic training, as well. Being in the MA circles, many of us see things like this, and are thankful for our MA training, seeing as it helped us. Just being in some kind of athletics, learning how to move and get into athletic positions, are helpful with many of these kinds of instances.

• 4 weeks later...

When i was younger I used to be able to catch forks falling off the table before they hit the floor while other people would just sit there. I attributed it to my training. One time this girl even dropped hers and she was impressed when i grabbed it for her before it hit.

Also, this other time i was in a crowded room and this "security" office accidently pushed me into a stone wall. If it wasn't for my upblock instinct i'm sure i would have lost my teeth because i positioned my forearm between my teeth and the wall.