• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say Muay Thai has been better promoted in North America, and the growth is greater than that of San Shou.

San Shou is too tough for some people, because most events are still tournament formats. Three (3), two (2) to three (3) minute rounds, and sometimes 6-8 fights in a day. It takes alot out of you. Most people are afraid of the contact, and I have seen some schools stop competing because they are inexperienced with the throws.

I get offered more single muay thai bouts than I do san shou.

Still better to train San Shou if you can.....

"better to train San Shou if you can"

I totally disagree.. I feel that Muay Thai is much better to train in, and there are throws, locks and other techniques in the art of Muay Thai, just not in the ring. It's all subjective, but I think Muay Thai is much better than San Shou.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

The throws taught in Muay Thai pail in comparison...

Many people do not even teach the throws as they are focused strictly on the ring (Thailand included).

Techniques such as Khun Yak Pa Nang, Naga Mood Badan, or even Nakha Bid Hang, pail in comparison.

There is alot more to schools who have athletes compete in San Shou, than the sport itself.

"San shou is the quintessance of wushu"

All opinions.. I think that Muay Thai is a vastly superior art. I also don't think much of Cung Le.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Anyways Ken you have to admit that due to the rules of the sport you will find a San Shou fighter much more proficiant at throws, and has alot more techniques at his disposal for throwing (fact).

Take the throws away and the Muay Thai fighter will have an advantage.

I've fought under both rules...Muay Thai just to keep me active in my younger days. As a Jun Fan Gung Fu instructor Ken, I am surprised you would'nt fight San Shou as a preference.

Remember San Shou is just a set of rules.

What does Cung Le have to do with it? Sounds like a pot shot out of frustration....