• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay, so as you can see by my styles to the left you can see I only have done karate training. I would like to do Judo or BJJ to add to as a ground and takedown base as Isshinryu is mainly striking. I'm not sure which to do so I would like everyone's opinion on that (being in Delaware I can't find any Judo school's in Kent County on the internet so I think it might not be an option).

Also, if I am to join a school what should I look for in an instructor because it seems to me BJJ is very competitive and all of these people have said they've trained this person and that person, so what?

Finally, how much do the average classes cost per year, and does it really usually take people 10 years to earn a BJJ black belt?

Thanks for your time! :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The easy question first. The cost of a BJJ school, out of a good lineage with a black belt instructor will probably run around 100-130 per month. If you're look at a school with a major player in the community teaching there as his primary school, it might be more.

Next up, it is true that you're average time to black belt with no previous experience of any kind on the ground will be 8-10 years.

As to the competitive nature of BJJ, yes it is common. However, it's not uncommon to find laid back schools that are mainly about flow and technique and art. Now, add the entire gambit between those two. Even and competition oriented schools you'll find a premium placed on flow rather than power and speed.

As to lineage, it's important in the BJJ community. It's important to be able to verify rank in BJJ and people who are up front about where their rank comes from are usually on the up and up.

Both arts have throws and groundwork, but the emphasis is reversed. Judo emphasizes the throws, but has some ground fighting. BJJ has takedowns, but emphasizes the ground fight.

Either art will do a lot to round out your skill set.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I think there's a "Team ROC" school out your way that's affiliated with Royce Gracie. That should be a good school. If I'm not mistaken it also has Isshin Ryu karate at the school as well.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Yeah, I know the man who owns the ROC stuff. His dojo is in Smyrna which isn't too far, but is a blue belt high in BJJ? because in Isshinryu it's not to high of a rank. But I don't know BJJ standards are, and how high of a rank you have to be to teach.

Yeah, I know the man who owns the ROC stuff. His dojo is in Smyrna which isn't too far, but is a blue belt high in BJJ? because in Isshinryu it's not to high of a rank. But I don't know BJJ standards are, and how high of a rank you have to be to teach.

Blue belt is right above white in BJJ, if I remember correctly, and I think it would mean he would have about 3 or 4 years of training, depending on how rigorous his instructor's testing was and how good he is. As long as he is still training with a higher ranked practitioner I don't see any problem with you training with him--do you really think you're going to catch up to his 3 or 4 years of experience before he learns any more from his instructor? You might as well give it a try.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

It's not terribly uncommon to see blue belts teaching right now. There just aren't alot of BJJ black belts. Blue belt takes about 2 years to earn and you remain there for about 3 years. So he could have as many as 4 or 5 years of training. Regardless, he should be able to translate the basics of the art to you. I would not, however pay alot to train under a blue belt.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...