• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dont order from Tokaido Japan

bwell

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know what company you're dealing with. There is a company that calls themselves Tokaido Japan Direct International. I was never really sure what their connection is with the Tokaido gi manufacturing company. Tokaido Direct implies that they're the same company, but they're not. There might be some kind of ownership connection though. Whoever they are, they've been around for a while and seem like a reputable company.

There are things going on internally within Tokaido (THE Tokaido) right now that might be disrupting production. I KNOW it's disrupting distribution. I'm not sure what is public knowledge and what is confidential, so I won't go into detail, but the company is in transition, and the transition doesn't seem to be going as smoothly as it might. I'm sure things will straighten themselves out eventually, but who knows how long it will take.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I am not sure about the company you are dealing with either, but, I would like to note that many suppliers are running short on inventory due to a cotton shortage because a lot of the cotton for gi's was coming from Japan. Even Century Martial Arts is suffering from the shortage. They claim that they have taken steps to insure they have merchandise, but, I have noticed that when I have looked for items for students, they have been out of a lot of sizes in a lot of styles. Let's all pray that Japan gets back on it's feet after suffering from such awful natural disasters that they recently faced.

Sensei Kellam

Karate is a way of life!

http://cranemartialarts.ecrater.com/

I am not sure about the company you are dealing with either, but, I would like to note that many suppliers are running short on inventory due to a cotton shortage because a lot of the cotton for gi's was coming from Japan.
The cotton shortage is worldwide and not just for gis. The cost of t-shirts and anything else with cotton in it has gone up in price. Last year, crops were flooded in Texas, Pakistan, and China, so supply went down at the same time that demand went up. Cotton prices tripled! I hear supply is recovering, but seed supply is now low, so who knows what prices will do.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 1 year later...
I don't know what company you're dealing with. There is a company that calls themselves Tokaido Japan Direct International. I was never really sure what their connection is with the Tokaido gi manufacturing company. Tokaido Direct implies that they're the same company, but they're not. There might be some kind of ownership connection though. Whoever they are, they've been around for a while and seem like a reputable company.

There are things going on internally within Tokaido (THE Tokaido) right now that might be disrupting production. I KNOW it's disrupting distribution. I'm not sure what is public knowledge and what is confidential, so I won't go into detail, but the company is in transition, and the transition doesn't seem to be going as smoothly as it might. I'm sure things will straighten themselves out eventually, but who knows how long it will take.

I was planning a trip to Japan in January and was going to order another Tokaido gi to replace my old one. Ive also come across Tokaido Japan Direct International, but havent been able to find "THE Tokaido".

Where would they be? Their address? Email? web site?

On a google search, all i got was Tokaido Japan Direct International

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

If you know anyone who can read Japanese, have them look it up on google.co.jp

Their results should be more accurate than google.au

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

still no luck

surprising...Tokaido is arguably one of the best... how is it possible that they just disappeared behind International Direct?

Feedback would be great by anyone who knows where to go, where to look and how to contact them

It might be a similar situation to Shureido. You can't really get to their website, but you can get to the official website of the retailer for Shureido in the U.S., that being Ryu Kyu Enterprises, Inc.

I'm not sure on the actual logistical details of what that is, but something to do with these companies being the sole authorized importers for companies based elsewhere.

interesting.

Thing is, i want to physically go there and order (get measured up), choose the cut that suits my needs best, etc. WIthout an address or phone number, their factory remains a mystery.

I was there in 1996 and did exactly that (order in person)- but my instructor retired years ago and is uncontactable for me to be able to get their details.

Has no one here dealt with Tokaido in the last few years?